• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

More help?

UdeLakeTom

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Minnesota Twins fans have been clamoring for years for their team to make a big move to help them make a postseason run.

They don't come any bigger than Jon Rauch.

The Twins acquired the 6-foot-11 Rauch, the tallest player in baseball history, from the Arizona Diamondbacks on Friday to help their beleaguered bullpen.

The 30-year-old Rauch went 2-2 with a 4.14 ERA in 54-plus innings for Arizona. He walked 17 and struck out 35 in 58 games this season.

"Whatever it takes to win ballgames, we'll figure out where he fits and go from there," manager Ron Gardenhire said before the Twins played Texas. "He's a good arm. A veteran, knows how to pitch, all those things."

The Twins started the day 4 1/2 games behind first-place Detroit in the AL Central. They agreed to send the Diamondbacks a player to be named.

Gardenhire has struggled to find a reliable combination in front of All-Star closer Joe Nathan all season, though Jose Mijares and Matt Guerrier have been solid, especially this month.

General manager Bill Smith has been criticized for not making enough trades to supplement a talented core. But he has been more active this year, acquiring shortstop Orlando Cabrera, starter Carl Pavano and now Rauch to address weaknesses.

"They're trying," designated hitter Jason Kubel said of the front office. "They're doing their part. Now we have to do our part."

Rauch's 305 appearances since the start of 2006 are the most in the majors. His career ERA is 3.87, beginning in 2002 with the Chicago White Sox.

Rauch should be solid...and Mahay can be a very good situational lefty. Mijares is the only lefty in the bullpen, and he is being used as the set-up man. Mahay will be used to get some key left-handed outs in the middle innings.

He doesn't need to be the "answer" Windy...just another piece of the puzzle. IMO, it's a good move... I just hope it wasn't too late.

The Tigers are winning some really, really big games as of late and look to be tough to beat down the stretch.

At least they should finish higher than that Sox team. Boy I wish the pitching staff was in better shape in regards to hurt arms.

Even with their tired arms, they do have a shot at it.

You were the one of the first ones to brief us on our suspect starting pitching. I was in denial and hoping you were wrong until they went in the tank big time a while back. I do like the bullpen moves and we did it without giving up anything, heck even Crain has been very good of late.

I just think Detroit is going to be a bit much for us or the Sox and they have the best manager in the division IMO which can make a difference when it boils down to 1 0r 2 games.

Lets face it as much as we/I want to beileve in the division this year it's probably not going to happen for us again in the playoffs.

One and done I'd guess.

Ozzie did have another great quote the other day when he said it feels like we're 20 games back and I feel the same way as a Twins fan!

Go Twins!

I think we need more vetran STARTERS....sure the beullpen has struggled, but starters are the bigger piece of the puzzle IMO....if all our starters were healthy it would be very interesting.....I think the Twins will again fall just short. frown

The Twins should find out today about Harden and or Penny. Today is the last day to be added to the roster for any post season play. You can't really get on Smith too much - he is trying to get something better in place on that pitching staff - how much better? time will tell.

Not sure of the Penny quote but I just saw that Harden is going to stay with the Cubs so the Twins won't be getting him.

Talk was if the Twins didn't get Harden they were going to go after Penny.

Harden staying with the Cubbies and Penny goes to the Giants, better hope that Rauch can get it done from here on out. Should be interesting! Not sure that either of us will catch the Kitties at this point, maybe it is just their year, they have been picked for the past three years along with the Tribe and both have dissappointed, maybe they will hang on this year, only time will tell.

I tell you what, the O. Cabrera pickup is looking better and better every day. Without him being picked up, and with Crede out with injury, we'd be looking at none other than LNP as our everyday ss or 3b right about now. The team has really picked things up since they started using LNP in his proper role as utility guy.

For sure mjgose just like the Cubs, Mets, whitesox, and other big spending team who have one World series in the last 70 years combined.

No the reason we are in contention AGAIN is because we have the premier sports business model in ALL of Pro sports while doing it in a smaller market.

So I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this once again!