Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim Jensen

Red Berries

11 posts in this topic

And widely planted for birdscaping. That is what the waxwing is eating in my avatar. Hope these are in your yard!

I gave thought to planting one just so the waxwings would be there in the spring for a photo opportunity.

Aside from their proven bird-attracting abilities, high-bush cranberries add a striking and handsome look to a landscape. Their growth pattern is tall and full, and the leaves turn a beautiful autumn red. They're also very hardy and rarely winter kill up here.

No they are not in my yard but they are in a public park not far from my house. I will be watching for the Cedar Waxwings. From what I read online they nest in late summer. Last year a co-worker pointed out a Cedar Waxwing to me while we were out taking a break. I kept my eye and camera on her and found that she was nesting in an crab apple tree. I was able to get pictures of here and her brood. Not very good pictures but since I had never heard of or seen a Cedar Waxwing I was thrilled.

P1010433.jpg

Nice story, Jim. Very neat encounter, and thanks for sharing the photo that will always help you remember the moment. Both waxwing species are pretty darn cool, and it's a nice boost just to spend time in their company. smilesmile

Wow didn't realize there was a Bohemian Waxwing also. I am going up to the Duluth area tomorrow. I will be keeping my eyes open for one. According to my bird book they can be found in that area.

Jim, you only find the Bohemian waxwings in winter up here, but there are plenty of cedar waxwings around. Nothing quite like the sight of a red-phase ruffed grouse in an autumn high-bush cranberry. smilesmile

When the mayflies are hatching on the Rush river I spend as much time watching the Waxwings as I do fishing. They are very adept at catching them on the fly.