• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sunglass Recommendation for fishing

SkunkedAgain

Question

I've always used cheap sunglasses that did not have polarized lenses. I want to get a decent pair of sunglasses for fishing/boating. I'd prefer to spend somewhere in the $50-$100 range that do a good job of protecting my eyes and also help me see the fish.

Any recommendations on brands and models?

I just used a search engine for bolle sunglasses and clicked one of the links and they have alot of good deals...got the same glasses I bought for $100 and still sell for $100 for $56 with free shipping...polarized and all....check it out the ones I like are Bolle Recoils model 10403...I have had these glasses for 2.5 years and wore them everyday and just got a second pair!!

Rapala makes great ones. I used a demo pair yesterday Musky fishing and I was really impressed with how well I could see fish following under the surface and the tint is easy on the eyes.

I've used Natives for years and like them. I deffinetley recomend going with an expensive pair vs cheap.

As far as I might loose them - that's what I was worried about too but trust me, you'll take really good care of them and be careful not to missplace them when you spend good money.

As far as "can't tell the difference" - cheap sunglasses have the polarization sprayed on them, it will wear off. Nice glasses have the polorazation in the lenses. And the expensive glasses are generally much more comfortable to wear all day.

I used to just buy the $12-20 sunglassses due to losing or breaking medium priced sunglasses years ago. This year I planned to get out on the water more, so I picked up a couple of Costa Fathoms (580 lens - amber and blue) and really enjoy them. I take very good care of them (now) and really feel and see the difference when I compare them to my old cheapies.

Bought a pair at Cabela's for $24 this spring, get the wrap around style - you'll appreciate it on bright water not getting glare in the corner of your eye!

I hunt in Smiths with changable lenses - cost a lot more but worth it especially when you find deals at Sierra Trading Post!

Maui Jim is the way to go for me. To be honest, there are a lot of sunglasses on the market that will fit your needs. The issue comes down to comfort and what works best for you. I am no expert and I have not tried all different brands of sunglasses....but I have found what works best for me. I have owned a handful of Maui Jims and each pair has been awesome. I just wish I was not so clumsy and forgetful otherwise I would still be on my first pair...instead of my 5th! Maui Jims are the only sunglasses that I have owned that are sooooo comfortable that I have actually forgot that I was wearing them..and spent several minutes ripping my boat apart looking for them. It was a very good laugh for my fishing partner to point out that I was wearing them!!! Good luck in your search!

I'll second Natives. No comparison to cheapies, I can wear mine all day with no discomfort. Also, the glasses come with a lifetime warranty should you happen to destroy them. Send in the pieces with a small "processing fee" and you get a brand new set.

I'm on my second set. I agree you take care of your glasses much more when they are worth a few bucks. That didn't stop my dog from eating my first pair smile

I am not sure if someone has already brought this up in any other threads on the subject but if you have Vision insurance through your work, your sunglas purchase may be covered if you go to the prefered providers.

I wear glasses and mine were covered with the exception that I had to pay for the polarizing and scratch coatings. I got a pair of Ray Ban wrap arounds that retailed for about $150 without the add ons and I paid $95. That was three years ago and I am due for a new pair but that's because I am hard on glasses in general.

I have never been a "cheap" sunglasses guy, EVER!

I'm 31 now, my 1st pair of "good" glasses was 7th grade in High School... Oakley M-Frames blue mirror lenses with the pink/purple splatter frames (anyone remember those? grin ) M-Frames just hit the market so I was a step above the Razor crowd.

Oakley had a great you break it, we'll replace it policy for a long time. Where them for 2 years, break an earpiece off as they often did, ship them in, new pair of glasses. Loved it!

Anyway... Sturgeon Excursion on the Rainy this year, I had my Oakley's on top of my hat. I took my hat off to itch my head and my sunglasses flew right into the river. Doh! 1st pair of glasses that I have ever LOST! Broken many a pair, scratched many lenses but this is the first pair that disappeared. frown

My replacements were a pair of Costa Del Mar Fathoms with the 580 glass, green mirror. Unbelievable glasses!! They fit like a glove, you don't know you are wearing them, and everything just "pops". Clarity and color is truly awesome.

My "cheap" pair of polarized glasses I had wouldn't stay on my face. Running 45mph in a short bubble Ranger 620, I had to hold onto my glasses to keep them on my face. With the Costas, I don't even have to worry about them as they are glued to my head. The fit is awesome!

IMO... $150, $175, $200, or more sounds like a lot of money for sunglasses, but this is one department I can't compromise in. Worth every single penny!

Ya must have a funny looking profile, wait maybe that's me, My cheapo's always stay on. I loved my Mai Jims but after being overerly concerned of breaking them after 3 years I elected the cheaper $10 to $25 range to get away from the worry some and my brain tells me there is not that much difference but my material side beggs to differ.

Not saying cheaper is better but I dont notice the difference of that I have in hand.

I've said it before, but I'm with croixflats. The cost difference is no way near worth it. Are they better? Yes maybe, but not 200% 400% or 500% better.

I have a pair of $200 maui jims that are alright, but nothing special. I sure wouldn't have paid that much if I didn't have a med flex account with money that I had to use or lose.

Put me in the cheapo category.

I've had to wear glasses since the age of 3, parents let me get contacts in 7th grade, thus my first sunglass purchase.

You could say I might be a bit sensitive and particular with anything related to my vision. There is a difference. BIG difference.

Unless you're a millionaire or just won the lottery, you should go with Sea Striker* good quality, polarized, many different styles similar to Costa! I currently have 3 different pairs spent less than one pair of Costa. Google them. Anyone else wear them?? I love mine!!!

Third person to chime in here in regards to the native's.

I have woren oakleys in the past, but my brother turned me onto them. I picked up a pair at Scheel's about two years ago, and they came with a nice case along with 3 sets of lenses. (clear, a yellow/orange, and a polarized smoke colored lens. Very comfortable and have woren them for everything. I believe mine are the XR Dash or something.

One place you can find Native's pretty resonable is at REI "outlets" HSOforum. They have some of their "last year" models marked down 45%+

If your a hunter and use a scope you know the importance of good optics and lenses, huge variance in the industry.

A recommendation I would make is look hard at Serengeti sunglasses. The quality of the optics should be immediately evident in the glass lenses and in there polycarbonate lenses. Bushnell Optics does there lenses and they take lens design very seriously.

Compare them with others, check out clarity and your ability to see electronics displays clearly, and with clear prospective and definition.

Shop around right now, there are some good deals on Serengeti sunglasses right now at some major sporting retailers.

If you wear prescriptions glass's, you can order prescription Serengeti sunglasses on line with significant savings. I just ordered up a new set of Serengeti "Pilot 1" glass's and they are by far the best sunglasses I have ever owned.

For $49 or less, the IGOG Explorer Pro Series sunglasses are darn good shades for the money too.

FYI: In my profile pic to the left, I'm wearing Ray Ban "CATS", very good shades for heavy sun conditions on bright days. Or..if you just want to look like Roy Orbison. wink