• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

St Croix Cat Fish are still biting!!

SteveD

I've been out 15 nights in August and was skunked 11 of those nights. That is a lot of hours listening to the Twins lose another one and drowning perfectly good bullheads. I figured the flats were coming off the spawn any time now and just kept after them.

Last night I started the evening on the big water south of Stillwater dragging cut bait on a deep 3-Way rigged with a big 2 oz saltwater jig on the dropper. I put a large sucker head on the jig and then hung a large hunk of cut bait off a 5/0 hook on a 30" leader off the middle 3-Way. The thing weighed a ton but it put the bait in the target zone of about 25' or so. I just trolled about 1 mph tap-tap-tapping that big 3-Way looking for a big flathead or channel cat to want a large hunk of cut bait. Right at sunset I had a beefy 30" channel cat almost rip the rod out of my hand. Been so long since I caught a cat I enjoyed the fight from that feisty channel. I missed another hit about 30 minutes later but that was all the action I could find trolling.

I moved upstream to one of my favorite flathead spots and put out a couple of bullheads. At 0045 I had a clicker screaming run and hooked up with a nice 37# flathead. He measured out at 42" X 27". I savored that moment - it has been a long time coming. I stayed out until 0500 but all I could manage after that was one extremely large and angry turtle.

Fun night - with the sturgeon season only about a week away I can feel the catfishing season slipping away. I need at least one more big one before I give up on the season.

8-28-0942X2737lb2.jpg