• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BISBEE DUCK HUNTING/TOWNER COUNTY

I JUST LOCKED UP A ROOM AT THE FORMER SENIOR CENTER IN BISBEE (NEAR CANDU) TO HUNT DUCKS AROUND OCTOBER 24TH. I HAVEN'T BEEN OUT THAT WAY TO HUNT FOR 4 YEARS. HAS ANYONE ELSE BEEN OUT THAT WAY THAT CAN TELL ME IF THEY'VE BEEN HAVING MUCH LUCK WITH LANDOWNER PERMISSION? (NOT THAT IT'S REQUIRED). OR PERHAPS HOW THE HUNTING HAS BEEN?

There is more then enough spots in gods country out there. The landowners are willing to grant permission but don't ask the day of or the night before. Get a plat book and I would start planning that way. There is more then enough water in that part of the state this year as well and it should be an excellent duck and goose season even late with the northern birds, comparable to the late 80's if any of you remember the shoots back then!

Are you sticking around Bisbee or traveling the roads to find them?

THANKS A LOT FOR THE QUICK REPLY! WE PLAN ON GOING WHEREVER WE NEED TO TO FIND BIRDS. HOPEFULLY, NO MORE THAN 30 MILES IN EACH DIRECTION? THE PART ABOUT THE CALLING AHEAD IS HOW WOULD I KNOW WHO TO CALL? IT'S KIND OF A [PoorWordUsage] SHOOT AS TO WHERE SOME DUCKS MIGHT BE WHILE I'M SITTING AT MY DESK HERE IN BLAINE! WOULD THAT MEAN JUST COLD CALL AND TRY AND LOCK UP SOME LARGE TRACTS OF LAND AND HOPE THERES BIRDS THERE? AND I WISH I DUCK HUNTED IN THE 80'S. IF I HAD A TIME MACHINE THAT'S WHERE I'D GO BACK TO. BUT I WASN'T BORN UNTIL 1983. HAVE YOU HUNTED OUT THAT WAY LATELY?

Drezler,

You and I must think alike. I am planning on heading back to North Dakota Oct. 23-26 to hunt ducks/geese. I grew up in Rolla, about 24 miles north of Bisbee if you're not from around there. I have been anxiously waiting for a good year to head back to that area to waterfowl hunt (it's been dry the past few). This year my buddies (many of them farmers who are more than willing to point me in the direction of birds and good-looking duck holes) are saying the water is back in good supply. Should be an excellent year to be up that way hunting.

I remember growing up that there would always be #s of birds as early as the last week of Sept. Things have really changed. About 3 years ago was the last time I hunted around there when I took a week off to be there for a friend's wedding on Oct. 30. The birds were just then showing up (they hang around in Canada much longer now). The past few years I've been told that weekend we will be up there should be the prime time to catch the snows and northern ducks in the peak of the migration. Not to mention there are a lot more resident Canadas in that area now than there ever have been before. My farming buddies say they see Canadas all over the place right now. I plan on doing some scouting and maybe going after some Canadas next weekend over Labor Day. Will post my opinions after I get a first-hand look.

Good Hunting!!

Drezler,

One other thing. The last few times I have been up there waterfowl hunting, I hardly ran into posted signs. When the deer season starts it's a different story. Just doesn't seem like many people chase waterfowl up that way anymore, which is even better for you and I.

Drezler,

Well, I decided to pass on bringing the shotgun and brought the fishing poles (fished Devils Lake Friday & Saturday with my father-in-law instead) on this trip. Although we limited out with another guy on Friday (& tossed back about 30 more including a 7 1/2 lber) and we were two short of a limit between us two on Saturday on Devils Lake, I was very much regretful. I really love to fish, but I am flat out obsessed when it comes to waterfowl hunting.

The Canadas were all over the place around Rolla, and even around Bisbee when I headed that direction scouting good duck holes for that weekend in Oct. My brother-in-law had some of his college buddies who limited out in a field near Perth in about 40 minutes (that was 25 Canadas for 5 guys) Sunday morning. I found several nice areas holding ducks/geese on my wife's grandparents/uncle's land. Every small pothole was loaded with ducks. Although the small duck holes will be shot up by the time we get up there, the big water will hold birds all season until they ice over. If you have a way to get back to some of those normally out-of-reach areas, you will have plenty of birds to shoot at. And like I said before, hopefully we are timing our trips right around the peak of the migration when all the snows and northern ducks are on their way through, because in my past experiences that makes for phenomenal shooting. Looking forward to having more maple-cured duck/goose sausage made up for the freezer this year!!

Good Luck!!!!

The landowners are willing to grant permission but don't ask the day of or the night before.

Sorry, but if you are field hunting that is how it is done! Scout in the evening for the big feed, call landowner THE NIGHT BEFORE if posted (or call 'em if unposted and you know them), hunt the field next morning.