• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lab vs Skunk!

tracker x-2

So I came home from college last night and decided I would take my two labs for a walk behind the barn. All is going well until we got to the marsh area, where all the sudden I have this undescribable smell stuck in my nose. I quick called my dogs back thinkin there is something dead laying near by. Now let me add I grew up on a farm and have smelt some pretty awful things, but this was nostral assaulting. As Tracker (my two year old lab) Runs up to me squinting I think oh Sh*t. She is rubbing her eye on the ground and not opening the other. We all came home and I read a few things to do from online. I have used baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, dog shampoo, human shampoo and coffee. All this stuff has worked well except for a faint smell on the top of her head, but that will fade with time. Just thought I would share my experince or see how many other people this has happend to. Now that I think of it I'm suprised it has not happend sooner.

One off my dogs got it this morning. It is an outside kennel and my job is calling my name, so she'll have to smell until after work.

Anybody know how to trap skunks??

From very far away! Skunks were bad news for our livestock. They never were fortunate enough to be trapped.

One off my dogs got it this morning. It is an outside kennel and my job is calling my name, so she'll have to smell until after work.

Anybody know how to trap skunks??

Live traps with a little can of cat food in it for bait. Pop them in the head with a .22. Sometimes you get lucky and they don't smell that bad. Other times you have the rubber gloves and boots on to deal with it. The thoughts of one less skunk to ruin pheasant nests is what gets me through it!!

Put a suringe on the end of a pole and fill with ink. Stay to the front and stick and inject the ink. It will die soon and not spray when moved. At least that is what I heard.

Huh? .22 LR is your friend and much less time consuming. This sounds like something Red Green might try.

Best way to trap them? We had one around the cabin I was staying at near Malmo on Mille Lacs and one evening a truck drove by and took care of it for us. Left an awful stink for a bit, but it cleared and luckily didn't hang on any of us. But I agree that long distance with a .22 is a good idea.

Put a cap full of bleach in the dogs bedding and the next morning the smell will be gone. We use it when our hounds run into one. It also works to put a pan of bleach under the car if you run one over. For trapping them there is no good way to get around their defense system.