• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2009 Fall Sturgeon Season Share Your Stories and Pics Here

DTro

Anyone else getting ready to hit the ‘croix for the Fall Sturgeon Season? I have a feeling I won’t be over there quite as much as last year (I think I said that last year too laugh ), but for sure will make a few trips, it’s always a good time!

I’ll be preoccupied for the opener this year (Sept 5th), but it always seems to start off a bit slow anyways as the bite usually picks up later in the season.

Good luck to everyone and let’s see some pics and share some stories.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might give it a shot this year. Never been sturgeon fishing before. Can you CPR fish them without a tag? Figure the muskie gear should handle them pretty well. If someone has an open seat I could use a brain to pick.

Tag is not needed to CPR, and Musky gear works fine. Just not the broomstick variety, you want some sensitivity for bite detection.

It is about that time. This year has been a wash for me but I will not miss the sturgeon season! Dietro I'm sure you will be out there. The first time you pull in 12 fish you will say I know I can do better than that and you will be back. Besides you know there are some tanks down there and its a matter of time before one gets in the boat from the Croix.

I remember last year I was out there fishing alone and I was doing pretty good and there was a couple other boats out there. Nothing huge average was 48 inch. I was reeling in one and this one was being stubborn. Finally got the guy next to the boat and low and behold at that time another one jumped out of the water right next to the boat. Almost had a two fer on one line.

Lots of unexpected things can pop up while Sturgeon fishing.

I have one more spot I am going to focuss on that I didnt hit last year. It has to be good because last year before the season opened while walleye fishing I witnessed 5 yes 5 sturgeon completly jump out of the water in that area. And man that is a sight to see.

IMG_0027.jpg

Just as an FYI, here are the new regs that went into effect this year:

LAkE STURGEON

All waters except

those listed below Closed

St. Croix Sept. 5 – Sept. 30 (C&R allowed during this season)

1 per season minimum size 60" and tag needed

(Taylors Falls Dam Downstream to mouth

at Prescott, WI) Catch-and-release only Oct. 1 – Oct. 15

RW put us on the spot last year.

This is the one from last year I am gunning to beat.

515653714.jpg

Nothing like a sturgie bite and the following action grin

Hard to believe it is almost game on again. Just seems like yesterday.

Oh sorry, yeah that was confusing. I removed that from the above post.

Tag is not needed if catch and release fishing.

Here are the rules if you intend to harvest one:

Lake Sturgeon Tags

Lake sturgeon tags and mail-in registration cards are required for

anyone* who wishes to harvest and possess a lake sturgeon. The following

requirements apply:

• Lake sturgeon may not be possessed or transported without a tag.

Validate and attach the tag immediately upon reducing the fish

to possession.

• Tag must be attached to the narrow portion of the body in front of the

tail fin.

• Tags must be attached so that they cannot be easily removed.

• Tags are not transferable and no duplicate tags will be issued.

• Registration cards must be completed and mailed within 48 hours after

harvesting a fish.

new Send to: Regional Fisheries, 2115 Birchmont Beach

Rd NE, Bemidji, MN 56601.

• Lake sturgeon must be transported intact (gills and internal organs may

be removed).

• Members of a fishing party may not take sturgeon for other anglers

limits.

It sure has felt like Sturgeon season the last couple of nights on the water. The chill is in the air and I bet the bite shouldn't be far behind.

Now......to find some Shad......

we made it out on Monday for some sturgeon fishing. It was a bit slow and I could not get to some of the better spots because of the boat traffic. we did get set up in a spot that did go from 20-60 feet of water but we had boats all over the place do to the holiday and the nice weather. I got one small 30+inch fish and a new Pb for me a 54 inch. what a grate fish. I think I may make another trip out tonight!

I'm brand new to this forum and it's because of Sturgeon. I just caught my first one. Rather than re typing my story, I'll just copy & paste what I posted earlier.

The last few years I've mostly fished Muskies. I was completely addicted and couldn't imagine fishing for anything else.

I broke my ribs earlier in the season and it was all but impossible to throw those big lures all day. I couldn't just quit fishing so I decided to do it like when I was little, just throw something out and wait. It was every bit as relaxing as fishing is meant

to be. I caught some really fun fish to boot (the carp were the most fun but I caught some other random stuff as well).

Sturgeon fishing has interested me for some time but I just never got around to it due to my Muskie addiction. The day that the Sturgeon season opened, I decided to do just that. I through a gob of crawlers in the river, put my rod in the holder and sat down. My line hadn't been in the water for 30 seconds before I heard the clicker on my reel. I thought to myself "that's cool, maybe I hooked a carp or a cat or something". There's no telling what you might catch on night crawlers in the Croix. It was in fact my very first Sturgeon.

I am hooked. You all might be seeing a bunch of Muskie lures for sale soon.

I know it's nothing compared to other types of Sturgeon in other regions but for a Lake Sturgeon in Minnesota, 30 sec. after my first cast. I couldn't be happier.

I hope the photo works.

J

a>