• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need Help: German Shorthair Pointer puppies

ESmith

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate venue, but we are running into some difficulty locating a nice German ShortHair Pointer (GSP) puppy. So much so, that my sweet fiance is almost ready to throw in the towel after a lot of fruitless searching.

We are in Minneapolis, Minnesota, we are having a really tough time locating reputable GSP breeders, even in the entire state.

Can you recommend anyone in Minnesota, or somebody who might know a good, reputable breeder? I want to make sure we have OFA and CERF certifications and all of the appropriate questions answered to our satisfaction if we are going to pay this kind of money for a quality pet and companion. We are hopefully going to land in the $300-400 range, as I want a great hunting partner, but not necessarily a champion showring dog.

Most puppies listed are being raised in more of a family environment, and I have less confidence in my own ability to verify the quality of dog we are looking at, as the owners sometimes aren't able to answer some of those health questions or stand behind genetic health problem gaurantees.

Any assistance would be infinitely helpful. Thank you very much.

Eric

there are 3 NAVHDA chapters in your area. I would post a link but it will probably get blocked. If you search for NAVHDA it would at least be a good start on how to contact each of those clubs. That way you can see alot of dogs work first hand.

One name that jumps out to me would be Clyde Vetter with Sharp shooters in Wisconsin. I am sure others will chime in with a kennels that are more local.

I think there are a lot of great shorthair breeders in MN, but I wouldn't be afraid to venture out a little futher to find what your looking for. Personally, I believe to find a great shorthair with a the health checks and titled parents your going to be in the $600-$1000 range. You can go the the NAVHDA homepage and find contact info within the local chapter and mabie attend a training session. You should easily be able to network with some good guys and find pups at a decent price. NAVDA tested parents have a great versatile hunting style that is perfect for the foot hunter. I've also seen lots of great dogs listed in the free and professional classifieds at gundogsonline (dot) com. You'll find more of the guys that test within the AKC system will have the CERF health checks done. A AKC MH title is about as good as a UT NAVHDA Title. Shorthairs are not known for lots of eye problems so it isn't as important as OFA. I hunt with a friend who has a shorthair from sharpshooters kennel in WI. She shows a lot of promise for a very young dog. If I was going to buy a shorthair, sharpshooters would be one of my first choices.

Outstanding. I grew up hunting without my own dog, and rarely would hunt with a friend and his dog. So I have yet to be plugged into any gun dog communities. I had not heard of NAVHDA before, so thank you both.

Please do keep the suggestions coming.

Even if you don't join NAVHDA, buy the "green book" and video and follow the step by step method. You'll have a dog that is better than 80% of the others in the field and much more fun to hunt behind. I would highly recommend joining a local chapter. You'll get lots of help, access to birds, meet some great guys, and it's a good excuse to get of the couch and do some training. Some of the dogs will open your eyes to what a shothair can do and give you something to shoot for.

I always tell people that have not had a pointing dog to start w/ a GSP and ONLY SHOOT POINTED BIRDS and they will almost train themselves.

I started out in NAVHDA in the mid 70's and eventually left it because for me it was not what I wanted to do. I ran horseback AKC and Amer. Field field trials but I would strongly urge you to join NAVHDA. The program is solid, I just wanted more go. The force training work and Bodo Winterhelt's training table work have been modified by a number of other guys, like me, but the idea is so solid that you just have to use it.

Sharpshooters has been around a long time & foot dogs are what they do.I know there are other GSP breeders that do a good job. They Call Bill Jensen ( last # I had for him was PLEASE READ FORUM POLICY BEFORE POSTING AGAIN, THANK YOU) in the Dalbo / Milaca area. He was the founder of the 1st NAVHDA chapter in Mn the 70's. He and his late wife were into WPG but he could give you GSP breeders he respects. I can not think of anyone that is better qualified to direct you. Tell him Brian B. sent you his way and that it's my fault that we haven't seen each other in a long time. I will be calling him some day soon since I RETIRED today!!!

Remember though that you BUY the instincts & then train what you have bought. I think that for a begineer, which you are until you have had a min of 1 finished dog, bidability and LOTS OF POINT are very important.

Good luck and let us knoiw how things go.

I always tell people that have not had a pointing dog to start w/ a GSP and ONLY SHOOT POINTED BIRDS and they will almost train themselves.

I started out in NAVHDA in the mid 70's and eventually left it because for me it was not what I wanted to do. I ran horseback AKC and Amer. Field field trials but I would strongly urge you to join NAVHDA. The program is solid, I just wanted more go. The force training work and Bodo Winterhelt's training table work have been modified by a number of other guys, like me, but the idea is so solid that you just have to use it.

Sharpshooters has been around a long time & foot dogs are what they do.I know there are other GSP breeders that do a good job. They Call Bill Jensen ( last # I had for him was ) in the Dalbo / Milaca area. He was the founder of the 1st NAVHDA chapter in Mn the 70's. He and his late wife were into WPG but he could give you GSP breeders he respects. I can not think of anyone that is better qualified to direct you. Tell him Brian B. sent you his way and that it's my fault that we haven't seen each other in a long time. I will be calling him some day soon since I RETIRED today!!!

Remember though that you BUY the instincts & then train what you have bought. I think that for a begineer, which you are until you have had a min of 1 finished dog, bidability and LOTS OF POINT are very important.

Good luck and let us knoiw how things go.

Thank you. I'll pass that information along. I'm at work at the moment, but my fiance is diligently calling on the leads I'm tracking down. I'm looking a bit early, as I gather the prime time to get a hunting pup is in the spring, but the fiance wants one NOW! As you might imagine, I am fighting a losing battle by trying to wait until spring!

Buy the pup whenever. Take the dog out and if nothelse get it on hens late in the year. I spent my 1st winter in the Cities living with my future wife in an apt. on 64th & Pleasant. Had one, my 1st, GSP gyp and eventhough she was 4yrs old I got her on pheasants over by the airport and back behind the ice arena north of 66th and east of Portland. Make sure the fences are good. It would be a shame to have your 1st birddog get whacked by a car.

[quote name='ESmith

Thank you. I'll pass that information along. I'm at work at the moment' date=' but my fiance is diligently calling on the leads I'm tracking down. I'm looking a bit early, as I gather the prime time to get a hunting pup is in the spring, but the fiance wants one NOW! As you might imagine, I am fighting a losing battle by trying to wait until spring! [/quote']

I would wait up to a year for the right litter. Picking the right litter is much more important than finding a pup right away. Remember a pup is a 10-14 year investment in a part of your family. I also would consider holding off on buying a pup if you plan on having kids anytime soon. I learned that the hard way.

Glad to see a little interest around here. I've made note of every suggestion and am waiting for a call back on a couple of them.

We looked at a little Liver male last night. Wasn't feeling too well though, and he didn't show much energy or curiosity so I think we'll pass on him. But it might have been that he wasn't feeling too well. I have fears of having a lazy bird dog though.

Esmith....looking at puppies and trying to picture the build and temperment of a grown dog is like looking at babies and trying to figure out which ones will play in the NFL. In either case you're better off looking at the parents or previous siblings that have matured. My 2 cents. I've got 2 great shorthairs, I pick the breeding not the pup.

Esmith....looking at puppies and trying to picture the build and temperment of a grown dog is like looking at babies and trying to figure out which ones will play in the NFL. In either case you're better off looking at the parents or previous siblings that have matured. My 2 cents. I've got 2 great shorthairs, I pick the breeding not the pup.

That could very well be the better way to do it. I've got little to no experience with this process. The pup had another issue which looked to be a problem with, how should I say, the last part of the digestive tract, also. Didn't want to risk that being a long-term issue either.

I had always heard that puppies play like they will hunt, but its tough to determine that in just a 30 minute or so visit. We like to see the parents and how they are also. Would be ideal to hunt with the parents probably. Though tough to arrange I suppose.

Would be ideal to hunt with the parents probably. Though tough to arrange I suppose.

did you make any contacts with any NAVHDA people? There are people in our local club that train pretty much all the time including myself.

Try to hook up with some of them, ask around get to know some guys and you will see that bird launchers, training birds, and land to train on are easily available.

Thats the best way to see a dog work and not have to wait until the hunting seasons open. I work my dogs on birds year around its great training but also alot of fun too.

Originally Posted By: ESmith
Would be ideal to hunt with the parents probably. Though tough to arrange I suppose.

did you make any contacts with any NAVHDA people? There are people in our local club that train pretty much all the time including myself.

Try to hook up with some of them, ask around get to know some guys and you will see that bird launchers, training birds, and land to train on are easily available.

Thats the best way to see a dog work and not have to wait until the hunting seasons open. I work my dogs on birds year around its great training but also alot of fun too.

I've got a few emails spread out among several of the MN chapter staff contacts. Hoping to hear back soon from some of them, as I'm sure they are one of the better sources capable of making a reputable referral.

Some of the NAVHDA might be a bit more involved than I will want to be, but I have nothing to base my opinions on yet. Just learned of NAVHDA yesterday. I have a lot of homework to do myself, and to track down a dog before I decide there.

I was a member of NAVHDA until I lost my shorthair at way too young of an age 3 years ago. My dog came out of Autumn Breeze Kennels when they were up between St. Francis and Cambridge. I think Ed is now up by Mille Lacs.

I haven't had any contact with them for a few years but he had great dogs and my GSP came out of his male that ultimately became his first Versatile Champion. Definitely saw a bunch of Sharpshooter's dogs back then and they were very good.

I was a member of NAVHDA until I lost my shorthair at way too young of an age 3 years ago. My dog came out of Autumn Breeze Kennels when they were up between St. Francis and Cambridge. I think Ed is now up by Mille Lacs.

I haven't had any contact with them for a few years but he had great dogs and my GSP came out of his male that ultimately became his first Versatile Champion. Definitely saw a bunch of Sharpshooter's dogs back then and they were very good.

Yep Autumn Breeze is in Isle, MN now. Called and he doesn't have any available in the near future. Sharp Shooters is one I'd really like to work with, but they haven't answered the phone or returned any messages yet. Maybe they're on vacation.

Anybody ever heard of "D.C.'s Bird Hunts" bird dogs before? He's in South Dakota. Dogs look all right in photos, but I know nothing else about them. Hate to drive a whole day on no more than that.

ESmith, look under the forum for SW MN. Under the classified section, there is a post about GSP pups for sale. We picked up our female a few weeks ago and she looks to be a great dog so far. Only time will tell though. She has great bloodlines as well. When we were there, Jason had 2 females and a male left. Good Luck!

Hi everyone, thanks again for all the helpful suggestions. We went and looked at a litter Friday night, and found what we were looking for. We've got an 8 week GSP male at home now, and he's starting to learn the ropes. Jumped the gun just a bit in my opinion, but there were other members of the household who weren't as willing to wait. All in all I'm happy with him though.

So now on to training concerns.

I don't know what the rules for images are, but I'll risk a reprimand I guess. I got him to sit still long enough for one non-blurry photo.

ColonelTangoSmith.jpg

Nice looking pup. Where did you end up getting him at?

Wasn't an actual breeder, just a family with a pair of hunting GSP's that they bred. Nice family in Anoka though. Two other of the litter were spoken for even while we were visiting and picking this one out. Good energy on every one of the pups, and alert and intelligent looking too. Hope he stays that way for a long time.

Good luck with the pup! GSP Man posted his email on this thread, and I would highly recommend talking to him, should you have any questions or concerns. I traded several emails with him a couple years back when I was looking for a pup, and he had lots of great info.

It's too bad that Ed Erickson at Autumn Breeze didn't have any pups...I got one from him, and so far, he has turned out to be an amazing dog. My pup was out of one of "Blizzard's" breedings, and actually turned out looking identical to his daddy! No regrets!!! Again, good luck, and have fun with the new hunting partner!