• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Alcoa steel siding is peeling

Tom7227

I had Alcoa steel siding put on my house about 18-20 years ago. There are two sections that are peeling badly. The are on the south side of the house and above a one story section that has a dark brown roof. I thought at first it may be from the heat reflected off the roof, and then thought it may have been a bad batch since it would have been logical to have put stuff from one box onto this area - it is seperated by a chimney.

In the past week I have had two other folks tell me they have the same problem with their steel siding. Both were about the same age but the owners didn't know if it was Alcoa siding.

Anyone have any experience in dealing with this? Alcoa HSOforum indicates they sold the siding side of their business in 96. I was told if any warranty applied it would only cover material, which won't amount to anything at all if I have to replace this. I used a wire brush on an angle grinder and stripped it off and have applied the best paint Abbott paint sold.

I also had the same problem on the south side of my house. The house is less than 10 years old. I was told that I sould read the fine print on the warrenty papers which states that the warrenty is only good for the first homeowner and I am the third. I was also told that painting it would only last a year. So I had to reside the side of my house and garage.

So I hope the painting works for you!

Yep, time for a "repaint" or a new siding job. Even baked on paint finishes fail over time. 20 years is a long time to go through the heat/cold cycle we have here in MN.

The trouble with painting over metal siding is the original paint. The stuff that has not failed already (peeled off) will eventualy. The new paint will not stay on the wall if the old fails. It is an endless cycle once it starts and you will be painting every few years. frown

The baked on metal finish is great for a long time, but it has a service life, just like everything else.

You can definitely paint the siding. Remove all peeling/ failed coating with pressure wash. Sand down any edges with 120 grit alum.oxide. Spot prime with a metal primer. Sometimes the rattle can primers are easiest. Top coat with a high quality paint like SW Duration, which has a lifetime warranty!? Then find another project wink