• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do it Yourself Trailer Swing Tongue Kit w/ pics

MuskieJunkie

There's been some threads about how you can add a swing tongue to you trailer and didn't see one that talked about the Fulton bolt on kit. I looked around I thought this was one of the better option, you can do it in your driveway and it's not very expensive.

SwingTongue.jpg

At this point there's no going back..

SwingTongue1.jpg

Some things to add: This kit is about $100, and it took about 3 hours to install. It's not hard but it is labor intensive, you have to drill 16 - 1/2" holes 4 of which have to be done on the underside - not fun.

The kit comes with a center punch and a T55 torx bit that fits on a socket. An air ratchet is a big help as the bolts have thread locker on them. You can also get the same bracket in a weld on version.

Cool. I thought about going that route, but ended up buying the complete Fulton kit (new coupler, chains, etc). There's less holes to drill and you drill on the sides--not from underneath. Plus, at the time, I found the kit for not much more than the hinge. Sure is nice to have that extra wiggle room in the garage.

Here's my post from last fall about the installation.

Kind of an unsettling feeling to take a Sawzall to your trailer, huh? smile

Oh, and you should really get new chains and attach them behind the hinge.

I wonder why I didn't see that post when I was searching for swing tongue options. Thanks for linking it.

Yea making that first cut is interesting....you think to yourself "alright- I guess I'm really doing this".

I took that picture before the new chains were installed.