• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Grouse Books

With grouse season just around the corner, I'm looking for some suggestions on some classic grouse hunting books. Not looking for "how to" type books. Anyone have any favorites? All the better if they talk about hunting over a pointing dog, as I wander the woods with my faithful Brittany.

Hope everyone has a great hunting season...

Thanks,

NoWiser

Timberdoodle Tales - Grouse and Woodcock hunting written by Tom Waters. He's a Minnesota boy so things will sound familiar. I read this one every season. I can almost smell the leaves turning when read it. Tom mostly run brits.

Ted Lundrigan is another Minnesota boy. Hunting the Sun is his best book and Grouse and Lesser Gods isn't bad either. He's a shorthair man but has buddies with all types of dogs.

The Trickiest thing in Feather - Corey Ford....a classic must read.

Grouse Feathers and More Grouse Feathers and Drummer in the Woods - Burton Spiller could tell a tale for sure and loved grouse more than most.

Tattered Autumn Sky - Tom Davis...he's still kicking and his writings still good

Not Grouse in particular, but Robert Ruark's The Old Man and the Boy and The Old Man's Boy Grows older are my favorite hunting book ever written.

Grouse Hunter's Guide (Dennis Walrod) is another. Not a classic, but well written, solid info. A cpl of new ideas/strategies for me.

Robert Ruark's work, as mentioned above is not about Grouse, but it is classic timeless hunting literature. It takes an excellent author to make the dog an integral character in the story. Ruark does it with ease. Very good stuff.

Grouse and Woodcock in the Blackwater/Canaan-George Bird Evans

Nice limited edition signed book. More of a journal. Not the most entertaining but you can picture the hunts.

Grouse of North America-Tom Huggler.

I'm a guy. I like all the glossy pictures.

Grouse and Woodcock A Gunners Guide-Don L. Johnson. Good book.

The Goruse Hunter's Almanac-Chris Dorsey. Interesting book.

The complete Book of Woodcock hunting-Frank Woolner. Good book.