• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Attaching Reels

Question

I was thinking about what is used to attach reels to ice rods? I saw a post below about using heat shrink tubing, great idea. Normally do you use electrical tape or is it cold shrink tape? I have a bunch of heat shrink I will have to try.

13 answers to this question

I use a self-fusing silicon tape that is available at Walmart called Tommy Tape. Not sure where else you could find it. It's sort of like electrical type but better. No sticky or gooey stuff on it that'll make a mess. Same stuff used by the military on electrical wiring.

I agree with the unsupported silicone tape. It's been used in the airline/aircraft industry for years. Only sticks to itself and leaves absolutely no residue at all. It's totally impervious to cold and keeps the reels tight at all times. I've been using it for years. There's nothing better in my view.
Nice to hear it's commercially available....T

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I agree with the two posts above. I used electrical tape for years until TBone introduced me to the silicon tape.

Good Stuff.

I thought it would be fun one day to take my young pooch Dexter with me out in the boat. Well, to make a long story short, the fishing was superb from the bow and the weather was "HOT"! So warm in fact that Dexter soon crawled into the shade under my console and I figured he's doing OK and I just kept fishing. When I finally got around to checking on him a little closer he had been taste testing my wiring system!! Arghhh!!!
I managed to fix everything up enough out on the water thanks to having some electrical tape and supplies with me.Everything except my transducer cable that is, which needed to be updated anyway wink.gif. (Tammy probably doesn't remember any of that and I don't need any of you fools reminding her either.) blush.gif I always try and carry a roll with me in my tackle box, but I suppose in a pinch a guy could peal a piece off of his cork handle. -TROY

Agree with T-BONE on the silicone tape! Not only does it stick to itself and no residue, it stretches to double or maybe 3 times it's length. I usually cut off a 12 inch piece to wrap my reels and can stretch it to 24-30 inches.

Just wanted to say thanks to the guys who recommended the silicone tape. I bought a new Thorne Bros. rod with a nice cork handle and I did not want any goo on it. I tried the silicone tape on it for a few days and then took it off to see what it did to the cork and reel. I am happy to report that the reel and cork rod handle were spotless. Thanks again

eyeless
I'm glad that worked out for you. I wonder why McGyver (TV show) never found out about it? The tape has been out for years. When I was in the USAF, we used it on the F4 fighters, kept the airplanes flying. Hence, we also used to called it F4 tape....

I wonder if this tape will keep the "stealth" caracteristics on the Stealth Fighters....now that we know we were protected by planes kept together with....tape grin.gif I hope we won't go get Saddam with taped F117s grin.gifgrin.gif