• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

10X20 BUNK HOUSE

I am wondering what kid of heater system I should put in my new shack. Are the Vent free heaters really that safe? I dont want to put a ton of money into it..but I do want to be safe.

I know the forced air heating system is great and I do have a older camper with one in there..but just want some ideas on how to heat it and be safe at the same time.

stay away from the ventless heaters in anything you'll sleep in. it's just not worth not coming home over. Definetly get a vented heater. not necessarily forced air. I have a vented heater that's not forced air and it keeps my 10 X 16 plenty warm, even at -30

I have been useing ventless heaters for a long time and am still hear. MAKE sure you have co2 detector, witch no mater what heater you have you sould have one. The only problem with ventless is they give off a lot of moister in the air.

I am wondering what kid of heater system I should put in my new shack. Are the Vent free heaters really that safe? I dont want to put a ton of money into it..but I do want to be safe.

You will get what you pay for. You could get a ventless for a couple hundred bucks and have alot of moisture or you could spend $700 and get a larger Empire Direct Vent with nice drier heat. I've splept overnight using both, and I'm still around too!

All depends on your pocket book!

If it built "tight" vented is the only way to go IMHO. The only way to go ventless is have plenty of ventilation, in other words "an old slapped together fishouse that leaks air like the dickens." Typically, most ventless heaters are listed for supplemental heat only, and not for use in sleeping rooms. The State of MN has amended the IFGC (international fuel gas code) to prohibit installation in any occupancy. These units do have a place, but not in a well built fishouse you intend to sleep in.

Here are some excerpts from one installation manual.

OPERATION

The Cozy thermostatically controlled units offer the additional benefit of automatically cycling the heating to maintain just

the right room temperature. VENTFREE GAS ROOM HEATERS ARE DESIGNED STRICTLY FOR “SUPPLEMENTAL”

ROOM HEAT USE AND SHOULD NEVER BE INSTALLED AS “SOLE SOURCE HEATING”.

Its not a lemon..... I know 2 fishing buddies of mine that have had issues with there Direct Vents from Menards.

They both said.. live and learn, for a couple hundred bucks more they wish they would have got the Empire.

I have had a few Empires over the years, one is 15 years old without any problems! Very dependable.