• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

big buddy heaters

mrjigger

I just purchased a 6 1/2' x 14', 17' with the v-front ice castle fish house. The inside is unfinished, I will be insulating the walls and ceiling with the pink foam board.

I am researching heating options. Do you think a big buddy heater, which says max btu is 18000 would be large enough to heat this house?

They claim to beable to heat up to 400 sq. ft. But sometimes I think those numbers are a little on the high side.

I know most people probably have a more permanent heater in their permanent fish house, but I always wanted to buy a big buddy for my portable, and thought maybe I could kill two birds with one stone.

Big buddies work great for 2-3 man portables. But for your perm, I would think it would be underpowered for real cold days and would need sufficient ventalation in your house to run it all day. For milder days and not a bunch of wind, it might work fine, the built in fan will help move the hot air around.

I have a aweful time with my Big Buddy heater. It was recalled after I bought it and I sent it in. It seems to do the same thing after I got it back. It will run fine for a few hours then shut off. I have the vents open on my portable. Once it shuts off, I can't get it to stay on.

I have a converted 6-1/2 X 12 with 2'V total 14' enclosed trailer. I used the white insulation. I use a Big Buddy and it heated it just fine last year on the cold days. You will want to use an extra fan to move air around though. I had the same idea with the portable which I will buy this year.

If you get a Big Buddy I hope you get a good one as some of the first ones were nothing but trouble. I had a reconditioned one that had the same problem as Cicada's.After much frustration and several cleanings I setteled on a more permanent FIX!!!!!.I still like the heater and took a chance on a new one last fall.. so far its works as it should.

006-3.jpg

Hey you could post that in the free things forum right next to the box fan grin

I have a newer big buddy and I like it. Sunflowers beer and me don't mix well. You may be ok with a big buddy in a well insulated perm. I would crack a window at all times to be safe or just get a direct vent furnace.

18,000 btu will be plenty. My old log house was 20' x 30' with a 16' ceiling and I had a 30,000 btu ventless and it worked fine. When I had a ventless in my fish house it was 9,000 btu and my house is 6'x14' and I never felt I needed more heater.

it all depends on the insulating in the fishhouse and how well the exterior of the house is packed with snow....if there is a draft coming from anywhere it might not be what you are looking for.

I have the same house, only totally finished from the factory with the forced air furnace. I did insulate the floor myself. Once I get the house up to temp I have no problem keeping it there with a LITTLE BUDDY, on low, usually, even in the coldest temps. I did add 2 3" fresh air vents for safety.

A big buddy will drive you out of there, you'll be down to your skivies.

I do have a problem with the door freezing up, even with computer fans going, but I think every house has the same problem. If anyone has a solution, i'm all ears.

I have the same house, only totally finished from the factory with the forced air furnace. I did insulate the floor myself. Once I get the house up to temp I have no problem keeping it there with a LITTLE BUDDY, on low, usually, even in the coldest temps. I did add 2 3" fresh air vents for safety.

A big buddy will drive you out of there, you'll be down to your skivies.

I do have a problem with the door freezing up, even with computer fans going, but I think every house has the same problem. If anyone has a solution, i'm all ears.

Don't use the buddy heater in it. The propane that it burnt from it will give off the moisture that is freezing the door. One other thing that might help is not to point any of the air ducts from the forced air furnace towards the door.

Sorry BBB, I don't really buy that. Last winter we rented a drop down up on Upper Red from a well known outfitter. The house was 8'x18' with a direct vent heater. It was 20 below that weekend and we had that heater cranked to the max all weekend, and both mornings we had to chip at least an inch of ice off the door jams before we could get the door open.

I think the other poster nailed it. Any house with metal jams and metal on the door is going to have problems.