• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any, new porty Mod's going on out there?

leech~~

Just pulled the sled out yesterday and am starting to get placement options. I'm contemplating making the top higher to store the big buddy in a protected place, and some sort of slide out shelf for convenience. another thing: I'm going to skip the carpeting for painting or sealing. The carpet didn't do anything except add weight and get wet. I'll post pix as I go!

WTN4ICE & McGurk

Carpet always looks nice and warm in a house, but I hear ya on the lures getting stuck in it!! frown I've seen a few guys build a box in their houses to keep everything in one spot when running. The thing I'm not sure of is where does your canvas sit when the house is flipped up and your running? I tuck mine down in the sled when running so it doesn't blow around in the wind when I just want to go a little ways and don't want to throw the travel cover on? confused

I bought a cheap Frabill one man flip over last year and it didn't have a zipper door in the front. It was a lot cheaper than anything else with a door in front and I thought it wouldn't an issue. It is, and having just bought a house, I will have to go the thrifty route to fix it.

Anyone know where I can get a high quality zipper to make a door in the front so I don't have to flip the thing up everytime I get out of it and lose any heat I may have built up?

My plan is to just cut a D-door in the fabric and then sew (or better yet, try to get the girlfriend to sew) the zipper in. I'll probably have to put some sort of a wind proof fabric as a flap over the zipper to keep from getting wind in the shack.

Anyone have any tips or advice for something like this, other than "get a new portable"?

Check with a fabric store (Joann Fabrics?) and see what they offer. GET A DURABLE ONE!!! Don't cheap out on this, as it will be the weak link in your door. I wouldn't bother with the wind flap as I don't think any more air gets through a zipper that from around the bottom.

Also, you might get by with a half-diamond door flap instead of a "D" door. Like this "<" instead of this "[" if your get my drift.

Canvas Craft Inc. in Ramsey put in a new/better style zipper for me the fall before last on my portable for around $40.00.

Some pictures can be found here:

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...Ott#Post1985086

I love this portable, but got a new Wild three man last year which my 2 sons and I fit very well in. Leech, I have images of the canvas folded down and will add later today. It works great while towing. Not an issue at all for me.

Wow, that's a nice porty.

I'll have to check out that Canvas Craft place and see what they want for a new zipper installation or even just sell me the zipper. I'm also thinking about putting a battery box in the sled portion and running lights along the poles. I got pretty tired of burning my line on the lantern last year.

I was also thinking of putting in some rod holders (PVC tubing). It seems like that would be a pretty easy and useful mod.

Thanks for the info!

Quote:
got a new Wild three man last year which my 2 sons and I fit very well in

Shack --- did you mean you bought the Wilderness series 3 man from Otter?

Only reason I ask is, seems they've been discontinued and I found a retailer "liquidating" them at a great price....and wondered what you thought of yours.

Sorry, I got the Team Wild 3 Man:

W3-Collage.jpg

Quote:
I'm also thinking about putting a battery box in the sled portion and running lights along the poles.
If it is any battery of size and you decide to use one of those marine plastic battery boxes, they shatter in the cold and moving wink Even when strapped and bolted down wink Just an FYI on those plastic marine battery boxes. I have found just keeping them loose, but packing stuff around them is best, then strapping the stuff down with adjustable bungee cords.

WTN4ICE, I wasn't able to open this at work earlier today because they block pic's!! frown But this is very clean! Nice work. wink Do you put your auger inside or on top behind the seats?

WTN4ICE

Perfect! This is the pic, I needed to see! cool Very clean. Like the supports holder, and the small bungy's holding the tarp down. That area is one of my big concerns since I have always stuffed my tarp down in the bottom of the sled, and then the auger bangs it up pretty bad when your flying along. Lots of small holes in the old Flip up II. Wanted to find a way to keep them apart at cursing speed. Thanks Leech~~

BigRed, the pic's above did open for me but were a little small. Was wondering in the pic with the lights on, do you have that foil stuff on the ceiling? If so how do you get it to stay there, and how do you fold down the house with it in there?

Thanks Shack, oh and by the way. I picked up a new XOG to put on my sled this year, because of You! grin

Missed this one leech. I assume my post going to the next page grin .

Very cool! It will work out good for ya.

WTN4, my Voy, sled came with a big metal cross bar holding up three seats. Pretty darn heavy stuff. Did you pull out the cross bar and just mount the seat to your lid?

Shack, now all I have to do is find that darn hot wire so I can put in a plug for the XOG. Anyone with a wiring die, for a 2000 Indy Sport touring? whistle

Red, do you just tuck up the foil sheet in the bars to hold it up there? Do you get much dripping off of it?

Mine is an older unit that used two tubes across the width of the sled to support the seats.I shortened the tubes and reused the stock hardware as attaching the seats directly to the lids seemed a little low for me.They are only 1/4 inch higher now than they were out of the box.It's whatever is comfortable for you. I think Shack used a short pedistal on a mod he did or they could be blocked up with wood.

011.jpg

001-2.jpg