Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Phred52

SPCA Exec's dog dies after being left in car

31 posts in this topic

Did anyone else see the article on MSN? "It was an accident" says Robin Starr the Executive. It's in 'Today's picks on MSN homepage. Phred52

The sad thing is if it were you or me, and my dog/your dog. We would likely be jailed or fined/charged for this. Chances are she will get the "oh I'm sorry your doggy died" treatment.

@ 16 years old, deaf, and blind, mabe the dog figured out how to roll up her own windows and took things into her own hands. wink I don't mean to sound cruel, but if I had a dog that old and with those issues, dieing in the car wouldn't be something that I would have to worry to much about. (If you get my drift.)

Martha Stewart still leads for un-just justice served. What hipocracy...

accidents happen so I wouldn't be too hard on them, heck besides how many times do you hear about a baby being left in a car and dies and those are accidents, I mean come on it is only a dog

accidents happen so I wouldn't be too hard on them, heck besides how many times do you hear about a baby being left in a car and dies and those are accidents, I mean come on it is only a dog

Only a dog? You're gonna get some feedback on that. Let the games begin.

It gets dang hot in a car in a hurry. This person deserves some punishment. That would be an awful death.

Troll, Troll,

No troll Chef but don't usually want to post anything in here and have it taken the wrong way, but in all seriousness, both are accidents correct?

I don't know how you "accidently" leave a child in a car. I can maybe, BIG MAYBE, understand the dog thinking you won't be that long in the store. But folks that do these things need to have their heads examined.

Wade must not be a pet person.

I am a pet person and I have 2 kids so because of what I said I must not be a kid person or a dad either, huh?

I was simply stating both instances happen more and more that you hear about and each is always ruled an accident, if the baby/infant/child is ruled that way why shouldn't a dog or any other pet be?

Oh and for the record I don't know how anyone and I mean anyone could forget a child or pet in a car.

If you leave your kid in the car and it dies = you go to jail.

If you have ever watched Animal Planet, you have seen these SPCA shows, animal cops or watever they are called. The put people in jail, or fine them, or take the animals for leaving your pet in your car, or a kennel, or werever for leaving it outside in the heat.

If you leave your kid in the car and it dies, or if you leave your pet in the car and it dies, then YOU ARE A BAD PARENT OR PET OWNER. Therefor you loose. You loose your right to be a parent, pet owner, or a member of out society. Some people don't deserve to be either. Just another example of pets and kids as meer accessories and objects.

People in todays society need to take a GIANT step back. We have to much going on and to many distractions. If your metal check list is so over loaded that you forget you have someone else in the car with you, then mabe something will force you do take a step back.

But as I said before, I would not have a 16 year old Deaf/Blind dog. A deaf/blind dog would not survive in the wild, or anywere else for that matter. Get it? The head of the Richmond Verginia SPCA had herself a 16 year old Deaf/Blind dog as an accessory. A look at me I am so special I can take care of an animal no one else would want or care for TOY. Some people need their ego stroked. She should pay the same penalty as anyone else for doing this.

I did a little search on this women's background. Seams she was a force on a no kill policy to sheltered dogs and cats.

I don't know, could be she had maybe took in this dog because it was no an adoptable dog. Not that it matters.

Don't think what happened was intentional or an accident. More like a bad mistake.

If it is an inexcusable mistake in the eyes of the SPCA for the Common Joe to make, then it is an excusable mistake for the SPCA Ecec as well.

I've seen Animal Cops, the Common Joe would be in trouble.

Oh and for the record I don't know how anyone and I mean anyone could forget a child or pet in a car.

This happened to a lady I use to work with. She was the Grandmother to a child and she was bringing the child to the day care we have here at work. Not a normal occurrence by the way, this was a special event and not anything she does on a regular basis. The child was asleep in the back seat and when she parked she totally forgot she had the child with her. Around noon that day she remembered and went running down to the garage (think how scary that would be). As it turned out the child was ok because she was parked in an underground garage.

At any rate, here's someone leaving a child in a car totally by accident, so it does happen.

Not an excuse in my eyes, if you cannot remember if you have a child or an animal in your vehicle, you shouldn't be driving... I think criminal action should be taken, if she is fount guilty or not that is not my decision. I do however think she should be terminated from this position, sometime you want to give a person another chance but not in this situation...

Do we really have to punish those that have made an innocent mistake like forgetting a dog in a car. Yes it is a horrible mistake. It was not intentional and it was not covered up witch it easily could have been in fact she took all measures to correct what she did.

Man! Some are just out for blood and it has nothing to do with justice.

Croix,

Let's turn this around, what would happen to you if you left a dog in the car and it was discovered by SPCA? I can tell you that they would do everything in their power to get charges filed against you. I am not saying she should be found guilty or innocent but not doing anything and letting her keep her job is senseless to me...

Do we really have to punish those that have made an innocent mistake like forgetting a dog kid in a car. Yes it is a horrible mistake. It was not intentional and it was not covered up witch it easily could have been in fact she took all measures to correct what she did.

I changed one word for you. Is it still ok to forget living things in a hot car?

Do we really have to punish those that have made an innocent mistake like forgetting a dog kid fly in a car. Yes it is a horrible mistake. It was not intentional and it was not covered up witch it easily could have been in fact she took all measures to correct what she did.

I changed one word for you. Is it still ok to forget living things in a hot car?

Good point Kidd, but the dog was INTENTIONALLY put in there, the fly wasn't...

Really now, does it do any good to punish someone more than all ready is. If this person has any heart she is beating herself up over this, it can not be an easy thing to live with.

Like said it is ironic this happened and it shows we are all human and I just think human mistakes should be met with compasion and understanding and not jumping to the gun looking for blood.

As for if it were a kid, whole differant story if it were Kidd, yea I do believe in forgiveness and I dont believe in compounding things unless it was pure idiotcy like if the person was drunk or octomom forgetting one.

Originally Posted By: croix flats
Do we really have to punish those that have made an innocent mistake like forgetting a dog kid in a car. Yes it is a horrible mistake. It was not intentional and it was not covered up witch it easily could have been in fact she took all measures to correct what she did.

I never said it was ok just saying a public stoning, a verble is ok but litteral not so much, is not always the answer.

"Robin Starr, the CEO of the Richmond Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, says she didn't realize "Louie" was in the car until noon. Starr's husband, Ed, told the Richmond Times-Dispatch he put the dog in her car as she got ready for work Aug. 19. She often took the dog to work with her."

How much noise does a 16yr old deaf/blind dog make? Did she even know he was in the car to begin with?

IMO this woman should pay fine or do some jail time, not for the accident, but for not putting this dog down in the first place. As a hog producer, I am expected to put down animals that are suffering in a reasonable amount of time, and if I don't, would likely face charges. True, one is a pet and one a food animal, but both are Gods creatures and should be treated with respect. Accidents happen, but keeping a suffering animal alive is intentional.