• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What Power and Length Rods for Lures?

IceIceBaby

I'm a novice at musky fishing but I have many different rods and lures and no knowledge about which rod to use for different lures. I have a 7'2" MH, 7'6" MH, 8' MH, 8' H, 7' H, 7'6" H, and a 7' 6" XH. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Al

Not knowing the rod types, I would guess something like this:

7'2" MH, jerkbaits, gliders, possibly WTD topwaters

7'6" MH could be the same as 7'2" adding other topwaters

8' MH, will probably be your most versatile rod, cranks, bucktails (minus big double blades) and trolling

8' H, big double blades, dawgs

7' H, with other options you have, not sure what I'd use this for

7'6" H, same as 8" H

7'6" XH, larger dawgs

Remember, the longer the rod, the better casting distance you generally get without as much effort. Plus better/deeper figure 8's and better lure control (steering around weeds or changing direction away from the boat).

These are my suggestions, based on my experience, but others will most likely have a little different oppinions. Good luck. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun.

Hi Al,

Looks like hunterjoes suggestions probabably are pretty close as good general rules. But as you use those rods, you'll find you will like certain rods based on your own personal preferences. I would suggest bringing out a subset of the rods listed on your first couple outings, maybe four - 8mh, 8h,7'6xh, and a shorter rod 7'2 or 7 for wtd/jb. They will work for most everything in your box. Any more than that on a single outing you may find is cumbersome to deal with and just creates more confusion. Dedicating time on these few rods on the lures you have will allow you to really understand more easily (1) if you even like the rod (2) which lures you prefer for each rod (3) where your gaps are that the other rods you did not bring/own might be needed.

Note: How the rod performs relative to the rating stamped on it, can very between manufactures. So one manufactures XH can be anothers H. Other intangibles that may sway you away/to certain rods is weight & handle design.

If you have multiple rods that work for the same types of lures - you could consider putting higher speed reel on one if you can use them for "burning" blades or working lures where picking up slack quickly can help make retrieve easier.

If your like me, I think you'll find about half the rods listed just won't get used based on preference after some time on them. They'll end up spares for freinds/family to use on your outings, or for sale on FM/HSO-Classifieds.

Good luck sorting it out.

If it helps, the 7'2", 7'6" MH and the 8' H are Fig Rig Tooth Tamers, it doesn't say what action they are. The 8' MH is a Fenwick Avia Techna.

The 7'6" XH is a Team Diawa "Muskie", the 7' H is a Shimano Compre, The 7'6" H telescopic is a Fenwick HMG. None of those have actions listed.

Thanks,

Als

I don't think the 7'6 HMG is a Muskie rod. I have the same rod but in an XH (up to 2oz). I use it as my Bass frog rod (suppose to be a flipping stick). You could use it if you want a specialized small bucktail rod or lipless crank.

The 8MH TechnaAV really will throw most everything very well up to 3.5-4oz's - great general purpose rod IMO. But lots of personal preference on specific lures. Works with double 10's, but some may think it is too soft for working them in the fig-8s. Great for glide J/B & WTD that work better with a softer tip or lighter taps. Probably too soft for d/r jerkbaits. Works great for regular dogs. Bigger question might be what reel you put on it - do you use a regular speed 5:1 (24-26"), or put a high speed 6:1 (28-31") like a Curado 300 or Revo Toro. Could go with one of each and put one on your 8MH other for 7'6MH

So the main thing IMO is determine whick rod works better for working wtd & d/r-glide jerkbaits that require a stiffer rod. And rod to work heavier baits or baits you want a stiffer tip for "ripping/twitch" & casting larger lures. The Diawa 7'6XH, or TT 8H may work for these.

The 7'2MH/7H would be great for a compact rod when want to travel real light or spare for some to use that is newer to baitcasters or muskie fishing. My daughter doesn't use baitcasters, and I let her use my 7'3MH when we last went musky fishing - worked perfect for her. Easier to use for her as a beginner, and she was able to use for most lures. This could also work good for working muskie type jigs if you want a rod that is less tip heavy.

I have a similar collection of rods, and that is how my use broke down. Out on the water, I think you'll find using fewer rods for multiple application works better than having too many rods getting tangled or cluttering the boat (unless you have a big boat and/or lots of storage for longer rods or coarse).

I don't have a lot of experience targeting ski's, but have done a lot of work trying to figure this stuff out - so these are based on things I've learned over my STEEP learning curve. It'll be easier to figure out since you already own the rods, as opposed to figuring out what to buy.