• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing GPS?

stillwaterangler

Question

9 answers to this question

Are you looking for a handheld unit - smaller screen, portable, easy to use ice fishing, etc ........ or are you looking for a more permanent fixed mount unit with a larger screen to put in a boat?

Also, when you talk about lake maps, do you know if you want LakeMaster or Navionics? You should look at the lakes you want to fish and check the lake lists from each company, to make sure you get the map card that supports more of the lakes that you fish.

The New Garmin Dakota is a very nice unit, two models to chose from. Very high performing GPS units, very bright daylight viewable display, touch screen, easy to use, very weatherproof construction.

garmin-dakota-10-20-gps-devices.jpg

Runs LakeMaster software plus Garmin software, and other various vendor software formats, plus will interface with Google Earth maps.

They start out at $299.

I run Garmin Rhino 530 HCx's, they do a lot for my all around needs for GPS mapping, and the GMRS/FMS radio is something I can't see being without now...great units. Check them out once...they do it all!

I had a chance to tinker with the new Garmin Dakota line and if I wanted a new dedicated hand held GPS unit.... in that price range...the Dakota 10 or the 20 "would be it.

The only deal I find as a potential "weak point" is they opted to use replaceable batteries in them. I'm used to having a rechargeable Lithium Ion pack on my Garmin 530 Hcx Rhino's, and not worrying about replacing batteries. Most handheld units now use double A's...so it's mostly me on that deal. The double A system helps to keep the units small and light, it's a trade off.

The Dakota 20 is a sweet unit!!