• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I Have A Problem

I have 1987 40hp Johnson its overheating but the thing is I have replaced the water pump impeller, waterjacket gasket and it still overheats. This is the motor I asked about awhile back there was alot of steam comming outta the exaust port thats on the midsection. Its "peeing" just fine the water comming outta the is ice cold but when you touch the powerhead and it has been running for awhile its hot. I know there is alot of calcium deposits on the boat Im wondering if some of that is in the cooling system? if so how can I get it out?

Big Fish Hunter247

How do you KNOW it is running TOO hot? Exhaust (cooling) water is cold and engine runs fine, right. The power head will be hot because it has been running. Engines GET hot! I'm not saying you don't have a problem and I make no pretense of being an OB mechanic but sometimes we IMAGINE we have a problem. I say if exhaust cool and flowing, motor operating properly and not seizing I would go with casual but frequent monitoring.

Dat's all.

I have a 89 25hp johnson that was doing the same thing. I had a mechanic look at it and ended up having to replace the water pump and it needed a new head gasket. Not sure if thats whats going on but it may be something to look into.