Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CSTPETER

do I make Pope and Young?

21 posts in this topic

Sorry, but nope. The spread's not very far past the ears, "only" an 8, not real tall, but I'd take him any day of the week!!

Gentlemen, what type of camera were these pics taken with? I'm looking for a trial camera. Anyone have some advise regarding a camera purchase around $100.00.

Thanks!

I think it would be close and give it another year and he'll make it... But I would shoot him! Nice deer.

It would be close, a nice deer, i know that for sure.

Camera for 100. Moultree 4.0 .......check out my pics on trail cams pics if you want to see what they look like. i will be posting my newest pics in about 5 mins as well.

Pics were taken with the moultrie 4.0 white flash camera.

I'm definitely on the fence with this buck...My guesstimate would be 120-130. His body is huge, so there's a chance I could be underestimating.

This will be a game day decision...I hope I get the chance to decide.

Leechbait, he will make book easy. Has a lot of growing yet to do. Id say he'll end up 135+

Not that much growing left....that buck will be lucky to be 110-115 at best, young deer, though tempting give him another year

The short brow tines will keep him out of the book if they were a bit longer he would make book with the gross score, I would give him atleast one more year but try for two.

If I see him during the season, he's getting the smack down!!! It's so hard to let a deer of that caliber go on land that gets hunted so hard! If I owned a couple thousand acres and was able to manage deer, it would be a no brainer.

And I know where you are coming from I hunt small tracks of land and have seen many bucks I have passed shot by others thier is nothing wrong with this it's your tag and meat in your freezer I just let them go with the hope they will make it another year.

The short brow tines will keep him out of the book if they were a bit longer he would make book with the gross score, I would give him atleast one more year but try for two.

If you look at the first picture, his brows are not that small. A good 4", good brows IMO.

When you see him, shoot off one of his antlers if you can.

A: he'll have been shot at and may go nocturnal

B: If you manage to knock off an antler, the next guy may pass:)

boy, I suppose I'm really gonna hear it for that comment huh?

It was just an idea, I've never tried it.

That deer will be roughly around 130, if he has any deductions, it will be very hard for him to make it in the books. Hard to say how much more he will be grow. Velvet really makes them look bigger that they really are. However, I probably would not pass him up. It is often said that it takes a mighty nice 8 point to make P&Y. He is nice, but I am just not sure if he would make it. I do think he will score in the 120's for sure.

I would say the picture of the first buck will just likely crack 100 inches. They always look so much bigger in velvet but once that comes off, you have a 100 inch buck in my opinion. Good luck!

Very few 8 pointers make Pope & Young. It takes a pretty good 8 to do it.

I had a very clean 8 that I thought would make it when I shot it and when I looked it over after I shot it. It went 121 5/8.

I'll say 115.

Good luck.