• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

COME ON GUYS!!!

mrfish1991

Ice fishing is more fun. The camraderie and accessibility make it more of an every man sport. Realistically I open water fish 10 or so days a year. I probably spend 7 times that amount ice fishing and I don't start until I'm done hunting for the year.

Economics. You can get set up for basic ice fishing for under $200 bucks tops. And can get a cadillac of a portable and flasher and everything for under $1000. Try getting into open water fishing for less than that.

No jet skis running you off your spot.

Its more of a tinkering sport. I always love getting my gear just right.

and the people are great. I love it.

I'm still getting on the boat 3-5 times a week. Lot's of Open Water season left. This is a pretty big year for the Ice Fishing biz with lots of products being released and products from last season getting the final verdict. I like Fall because it weeds out the fair-weather fisherman and rec. traffic to a more enjoyable level. That and the fish strapping on the feedbag before winter. laugh

Definitely economic for me. I can't afford a boat, let alone something to pull it with. Getting out on the ice is a lot easier, too. Throw the stuff in the car, go to work, hit the lake on the way back.

There are no jet skis, but there are snowmobiles, which can be equally as annoying when they sit and do laps around your area.

It can't really be economics because you can fish a heck of a lot cheaper in the summer then the winter. All you need is a cane pole and a can of worms that you dig up in the backyard and a place to stand on shore and you are set. In the winter you need to have something to open up the ice and most times you have to buy bait unless you raise your own or trap your own. You also need warm cloths and boots. I can wait but always look forward to first ice.

Each year it seems my interests shift more and more toward ice fishing. I think it's primarily for three reasons:

1) Summers are too busy. It feels like I have less and less time to do anything, much less spend all the time and money going to my family's cabin for what is basically one day of enjoyment.

2) Many of my friends don't know much about fishing. They're reluctant to go summer fishing, but having a few drinks while watching your hole is a good time for them.

3) It's one of the few outdoor activities I like to do in the winter. It really gets you through Jan/Feb. Too many other things to do when the sun is out.

Summer is just to busy for me. I have a hard enough time fitting in some fishing, golfing, mowing the lawn, house projects, all the weekends filled up, etc.....

Once we get through the holidays/pheasant season, things slow down for me and I have more time to get out and ice fish. Plus boats are just too dang expensive, and the only shore fishing I enjoy is off the dock at the cabin. Don't feel like fighting for shorefishing spots here in the Cities.

I was just givin u guys [PoorWordUsage], I love all fishing equaly. Its a great way to get out and relieve stress and be able to tinker with things.

I will say that ice fishing is more economical, but just like anything having to do with the outdoors, the sky is the limit.

I probably wont be able to get out again until hard water season seeing as im stuck in Ames, IA...not too many lakes around here.

Before I had my winter hobby, I could not stand winter. Now, on some of the hottest summer days I will daydream about standing on the ice, a calm and sunny 15 degrees out, with holes all around me waiting to produce fish.

I just don't get the same enjoyment open-water fishing. I don't like the bugs, hot days, windy days, jet skiers and recreational boaters. If i'm going to open-water fish I try to be off the water before 10 am.

Also summer fishing cuts into my ATV'ing. Another bonus of ice fishing is the ability to use my wheeler to get to my spots.

Lastly I own a wheel-house, I love sleeping on the ice for days on end. There is just something about waking up to a rattle reel. You just can't fish for 48+hrs straight on the open water.

when Im sitting in my boat on a nice 80 some degree day Im thinking about sitting in my shack watching the little blips on my flasher.

when Im sitting in my shack watching blips on my flasher im thinking about being in my boat on a 80 some degree day......

I think the biggest reason is the changing of the seasons in MN. We are so very fortunate to have the seasons and I think after a while, we are always looking ahead to what is next. In March/April many guys/gals are getting super anxious to get out in the boat even though there is some great ice fishing to be had..... In July/August everyone is getting excited for Fall Fishing, Hunting, ATVing etc.... because of our seasons in MN we always have something to look forward to right around the corner.

My girl friend said it best, guys like ice fishing so much because it's like when we were kids, playing in forts.

I like that, I think I am going to have to steel it, only I may tweek it just a little, more like this.....

My girl friend said it best, guys like ice fishing so much because it's like when we were kids, playing in forts, only now we are adults, with beer and cigars. And instead of toys we have.... much more expensive toys, and power tools.

Ok guys...

don't laugh...

but I LOVE holding an 8" auger! Thinkin I might go to a 10" this year! Lil rods are fun but rattle wheels always get my attention! ps gotta sneek a few toddies in there 2!

!!

I thought size didn't matter smile