Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
heating guy

getting hot

5 posts in this topic

I got my fathers boat that never got use very much until I got it. The thing is between the motor and the lower unit I don't know what its called but it tend to get hot once it looked like it was steaming just a little I am going out to check the oil in the lower unit but any ideas what else it could be? by the way it a 40hp yamaha

With cooler morning temps you'll see steam coming from the ports in the midsection (the term you were looking for).

That said though, are you getting a good stream of water at idle from the side of the motor, out the telltale (or pee) hole?

marine_man

but is that normal that the side of it is hot to the touch

are you getting a good stream of water at idle from the side of the motor, out the telltale (or pee) hole?

You really need to answer this question first. The water that would cool that portion of the motor comes from the water pump, and the telltale water indicator tells how well the water pump is working.

If the water pump is working adequately then I wouldn't worry about the temp of the midsection.

marine_man

thank you so much you guys on fm have bean so kind