• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Turn in poachers (TIP)

Has anyone called in trying to turn in a poacher?

I called in on sunday to report an undersized muskie being kept and I was getting routed all around the state to different dispatchers and never spoke with anyone from the DNR. Somebody eventually took my information and said someone from the dnr would be contacting me shortly... No phone call... No nothing. Just curious if anyone else has had this problem?

I posted this to someone else with about the same problem.

The TIP's line seems to work better for things like wetland violations or stuff dumped at a ramp. If you need someone out quickly, it is better to call the CO directly. This is the list of the phone numbers for the entire state.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/enforcement/phonedirectory.pdf

I know the state is in a crunch for money and the number of officers is low, but wouldnt you think if they hired a few more officers to follow up on this stuff and patrol more and hand out those tickets to the people that deserve them that would almost pay itself off? Maybe im crazy

Well bad to hear im not alone... I know the dnr resources aren't there for immidiate assistance, but cmon if your going to have the program please use it. Or simplify it so that I didnt have to sit around on the phone waiting to find somebody that dealt with it (Hardly) Im not ripping the DNR but the system... Thank you for those numbers ill keep em in my boat.

I know the state is in a crunch for money and the number of officers is low, but wouldnt you think if they hired a few more officers to follow up on this stuff and patrol more and hand out those tickets to the people that deserve them that would almost pay itself off? Maybe im crazy

I may be wrong, but I don't think they can use funds collected from fines to cover the payroll. Same with other branches of Law Enforcement.

the DNR also doesn't get much of that fine money - most goes to the county that the ticket is processed in. A CO explained that the DNR got about 30 or 40 bucks out of the $125 ticket he was handing over to my uncle for forgetting his pheasant stamp (had almost every other license you could buy, shoulda got a warning but thats another story)

I would like to point out that TIP is not run by the DNR it has nothing to do with the CO's in your area.

From the TIP HSOforum:

Turn In Poachers, TIP Inc., is a private (501C-3), non-profit organization of conservationists concerned about poaching problems. TIP Inc., provides all reward monies for the program and receives no state/DNR funding. The enforcement division cooperates with the TIP program, which was started to encourage the public to report natural resource violations. The information and the person reporting can be kept confidential. Persons reporting violations are asked to obtain as much information from observation as possible, and to report all violations as soon as possible. If an arrest is made, the person reporting the violation may be eligible for a reward of up to $1,000, depending upon the seriousness of the crime. The reward amount will be determined by an impartial panel. Since its inception in 1981, this program has been a deterrent to the senseless waste of wildlife and is extremely beneficial to the DNR Enforcement Division.

Statewide toll-free: 1-800-652-9093

24 hours a day, 365 days a year or dial #TIP from your cell phone.

Min Dak,

Thanks for posting that information. I was about to post that information as well. I've had numerous people complain to me about the TIPS program during our lake surveys. Of course, after they quit venting and I tell them that TIPS is a is not run by the DNR they go "Oh, I didn't know that".

I know that Nater mentioned that a CO said you could even call 911. I would discourage people from calling 911 to report a fish or wildlife violation since that system is ment for emergencies only and most fish and wildllife violations are not emergencies. Check out the link with the CO numbers and print out a copy and keep it in your boat or tackle box and call the CO directly.

Just remember to take down as much information as possible such as: where the violation is occurring, physical description of the violator, vehicle make, color, and license #, boat, 4-wheeler or snowmobile registration #, description of violation. The more information the better.

War Eagle!!!