• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2003 4x4 silverado V8 starting problems

Hopefully this will be easy. My truck starts right away first thing in the morning and usually the second time I start it, but then it turns over and over before starting like it isn't getting gas???? Any thoughts would be appreciated - Thanks.

I think your on the right track. On the fuel rail on the drivers side of the engine you will see the fuel pressure regulator. There will be a vacuum hose attached to it. Remove the vacuum hose. Turn the key to the run position or start briefly and see if fuel comes out. If it does, replace it. If it doesn't than its time to check fuel pressure with a gauge to see if there is bleed down which would likely be the fuel pump.

I have the same truck and solved the problem right here. It is the fuel pressure regulator. Be sure if you decide to replace it yourself to find out how to de-pressurize the system. Or get a face full of high pressure fuel and possibly start the truck on fire...like I did.

Next thing to go out will be the oil pressure sensor.

I appreciate the heads-up on the do it yourself aspect. I have an appointment with the mechanic next Monday. As always the FM family is awesome. Thanks - Bryan

You won't have to take it to a shop to do this. It is only held in place by one clip. Do the repair before you even turn the key on for the first time in the morning. This way the fuel system pressure will be at minimum, if any at all. If you take the clip off, hold some towels around the press. reg while removing it, you won't get a face full of gas, and it will catch any remaining fuel in the rail. Push the new one in straight, and put the clip back into place. Check for any fuel leaks from regulator. Done.

Just make sure that you compare the parts on the new one to the parts that came off with the new one. Most of the time the screen and the small intake will stay inside of the fuel rail. You can use a pick to carefully remove them. You will see what I am talking about when you pick up the new one.