Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
goldie11

walk the dog top water lure

22 posts in this topic

Im thinking about buying a phantom viper topwater bait. is it worth it or are there better walk the dog lures? color suggestions?

To piggy back on this post. When is it best to use the silver and blue dog walker? what conditions? I was thinking clear water, blue skies.

I agree with black on most days, especially overcast, but I might throw something bright, like frog or firetigerish on bluebird day.

Lots of times with topwater it doesn't seem to matter, but in general I agree with you - bright on brighter days (sky) and dark in dark conditions.

I bought a couple of Weagles, frog and blue/silver. It took me a while to figure them out as they are on the heavier side of the dog walkers, but I like them. You have to work with real aggressive strokes. You can cast them as far as a football feild which is unnecessary. I also have a jackpot, which I thought was too light, and would get blown out too easy. Muskie sized spook does not walk very well. If I were to get another it would be a viper, in either black or black/orange belly.

Black weagle, it really isn't fair to the fish...

Vipers are good too, they do long drawn out "S" better, I think you can in general work them faster so a little better search lure.

Black Home Wrecker!!! Its heavier so the fish dont pop it out of the water so easy. Replace the hooks on it though and put stronger ones on.

The only one I got is a black viper. Still haven't seen any fish on it but it does look good. If you guys have any favorable conditions to suggest maybe I'll throw it more with confidence.

Overcast with chop = bright

Overcast calm / low light = black

Sunny = shiny

It really pays to have a few different WTD's. Up at Minaki I couldn't buy a fish on my go-to Weagles. They'd only look at Jackpots. Now the next week it could be different, but it sometimes pays to have a variety. At least that's the logic to having the wall of baits I do...

\It really pays to have a few different WTD's. Up at Minaki I couldn't buy a fish on my go-to Weagles. They'd only look at Jackpots. Now the next week it could be different, but it sometimes pays to have a variety. At least that's the logic to having the wall of baits I do...

I'd agree - thus my hodgepodgs collection of them - that said, the most tooth marks are on my Jackpots and Docs (which I rarely fish anymore cause the Weagles and Vipers I have look so much cooler!!!) It is amazing how differently you have to work these lures though - I thought a couple Weagles I had were broke - turns out my retrieve is what was broken - now they work just fine.

That was definately the case for me too, our weagle was goin under on me, change it up and now it works good. Now that it works, i hope we see some fish on it.

Love the weagle. Was out yesterday, perfect, light wind overcast afternoon. Called out 4 really nice fish that just wouldn't commit. Very cool to see them chase the wtd around the boat. They would come up, dive back down, and come back up again, wish I had a POV cam. Anyways, weagle is extremely versitile, fish wanted a faster retrieve with a slap. Most other wtd's are not heavy enough for power jerk-baits, which throw mega water. Color? black.

wat do you guys think about black and orange

Spooky combo. Especially at the end of October. eek

Has anyone tried a phat boy by holcumb? It was recommended to me at a musky specialty store but I have had a few problems working it. It is probably just me though. Please let me know if you have had any luck with it.

I have had a few grab a mass marauder (sp??) from salmo. They cast well and walk well and have a very nice roll to it also that flash good color when using the multi color baits. Black and orange has been my best color.

wat do you mean spooky?

Sorry. It was a bad joke. Halloween. But in regards to black and orange. Solid color combo. Nice contrast.

The Marauder's have a pretty unique action to them and can be fished a few different ways. I haven't stuck any fish on em' but I sure do love working em'.

Quote:
I thought a couple Weagles I had were broke - turns out my retrieve is what was broken - now they work just fine.

Subtle movement at its best....... Let the equipment do the work for you. One or two inch movements on a rod tip thats over 8 up to 9 feet long will make a Weagle dance side to side and get bit. Breyer showed me how its done the right way.

All black or loon patern Weagle is money.

Has anyone tried a phat boy by holcumb? It was recommended to me at a musky specialty store but I have had a few problems working it. It is probably just me though. Please let me know if you have had any luck with it.

I've used my friends a few times, it seems like a big jackpot since the eyelet is on the bottom and it's a headbobber, not a swoosher. Just takes the right cadence, worked fine when I fished them.

Does anyone have experience using a Maas Marauder? I have used it in limited situations, no luck yet. It is easy to work though.