• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How old?

i would put my money on 3.5 year old. its always a real guess game based on august pictures(summer coat, velvet, etc). there are so many variables that come into play. deer antlers tend to grow faster if they are in the SE MN. one of my spots in NE MN they are usually a year behind in antler growth. not always, but generally thats what i find. last year my dad shot a 9 point that was 5.5 years old and it only scored 125". the year before we shot a 2.5 that scored 121". the deer were aged via tooth. thats really the only way to know for sure.

I don't think you see too many 2.5 year old deer with those kind of lobster claws on front. Just thinking what most 1.5 year old deer look like, that would be a heck of a jump in 1 more year. I'm not saying its not possible, just not as likely. Location can play a big role on determining deer size. If he is a northern deer, they don't get as big in the body. The deer down here in SEMN can have huge bodies by 2.5 years old. What part of the state was this taken? The fist pic makes me think 3.5, but in that second he looks narrow and not as massive, makes me go back to 2.5.

Here is a photo taken last fall on the same farm as where the camera is now to compare to. Im guessing this to be a 2 yr old deer. The photos are taken in the North Branch area. I know the area has some great genes but I still find it hard to think that is a 2 year old buck in the first set of photos. Thanks for the input. Id love to see him next year but he looks so good this year....

SUNP0023-1.jpg

I'm gonna say 2 1/2 also. It doesn't look much bigger than the buck in my avatar pic, and that deer was only 2 1/2, aged by teeth. I know I shouldn't have shot it, that deer had deer-of-a-lifetime potential, but I couldn't help myself.