Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WallEYES

BEE/HORNUTS

11 posts in this topic

I have a bee/wasp/hornet nest in a tree about 6 feet off the ground......whats the best way to get rid of them without getting stung.....I really don't really giving myself shots if I get stung.

Get some wasp killer and soak that thing come nightfall. Plus, wear a snomobile suit, helmet, and a pair of choppers......defineatly a pair of choppers. wink

Another little trick is to put a light in the opposite direction you will be running after the spray can is emptied. The surviving vicious little monsters go to the light, while you make your escape.

Does it look like this?

3857306898_58e1cc09e1.jpg

This is a Bald Face Hornet nest that was in my yard about 12' up last month. I don't know how I could miss seeing this when it was small, but I did.

I sprayed this with a jet stream type wasp/hornet killer two evenings in a row at nightfall. The first time I just soaked the outside but some bees were still using the nest the following day. The second time I really tried to direct the stream into the opening you can see in the photo. The bees are more likely to all be in the nest at nightfall. The spray kills'em right now. I did not notice any bees following me either time. Good Luck!!!

That is it, I'll try your suggestions tomorrow night...going to wait for a cooler night than tonight.

bald face hornet, black, yellow, stocky little bugger? proud owner of one of them too. was able to drive up to it with the window cracked and sprayed, read the directions after, so hit it again next evening. was suprised how tough those buggers were, also saturated the nest and were some still flying days later.

I have them going up under the bottom row of siding of my house. I have sprayed blindly a couple of times but they are still there. I even ran a bead of Great Stuff expanding foam to try to seal it off. I haven't been brave enough to lay on the ground to see where they are going. Any body have any ideas?

Does it look like this?

3857306898_58e1cc09e1.jpg

This is a Bald Face Hornet nest that was in my yard about 12' up last month. I don't know how I could miss seeing this when it was small, but I did.

I sprayed this with a jet stream type wasp/hornet killer two evenings in a row at nightfall. The first time I just soaked the outside but some bees were still using the nest the following day. The second time I really tried to direct the stream into the opening you can see in the photo. The bees are more likely to all be in the nest at nightfall. The spray kills'em right now. I did not notice any bees following me either time. Good Luck!!!

These darn things have a wicked punch. I was mowing a yard that i have done for many years and went under that same branch like I normally do and all of a sudden I saw things flying and I whipped off my head phones and started swatting. I think I only got stung like 3 times on my arm and twice on my head, but they were just starting to build the nest that week. The first day of the bite it was just 3 little red spots, then the next day it started to itch, so I scratched it and next thing you know my forearm was almost double the size and I couldn't move it very well it was stiff. This lasted 2 more days until the swelling went down.

The hive is still on this property but I stay away from it now and it is easily 14" in diameter now...i'm not messing with it as it is about 5' off the ground. It only took them about 4 weeks to go from nothing to that big.

Duffman and others......Bees gone with no stings......thats for the advice.

Glad to hear WallEYES, although I would've liked to have seen if you did the "Bee Dance", Bushwac has been performing that thing everytime a flying stinging insect flies by, and it has so entertained me the last 30 yrs. LOL laugh

To the post with the hornets under the siding, Make yourself a tray out of wood or cardboard and after dark, attach it to the house so that the insects will have to travel along it to get to the opening to their nest. Put a liberal layer of Sevin dust on the tray and they will walk through in going into and out of the nest, killing them in both directions. Should take a day or two and they will all be done for.