• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hang-on stands

BRULEDRIFTER

Ok, forgive my stupidity but I have zero experience with these types of stands.

I really would like to get one this season to complement my climber and ladder stands and my ground spots, but how in the heck does one go about hanging them up when it's only you out there to do it?

Any one care to share how they do it?

A harness with a lineman's belt is a must. You just screw in your steps or strap on ladder sections as you go. The belt allows you to have free movement with both of your hands.

Once you get to your desired height grunt and pull that hang-on up with a rope. You will have two free hands to connect the strap to the tree.

Some Tips:

A "bark bit" for a cordless drill takes out a lot of the work of screwing in steps, but is less-than-covert. If you are hanging a stand before season it is awesome.

For screwing in steps during season by hand, I like to use a regular cresent wrench tied to my hand. Open it just enough to get on the vertical part of the step. It gives you a ton of leverage. There is also a special tool for screwing in steps by hand but I have no experience with that.

After I put the first few steps in, I cut a branch to match the comfortable spacing. I then tie a cord to it and use it to gauge the distance for the rest of the steps up. Keeping all of the steps the same distance apart makes climbing that much easier.

And for pulling the stand up, you can strap a pully around the tree. This is nice if you have a heavy one to lift.

Most hang-ons are meant to be strapped to the tree in the folded up position as tight as possible. Then lower the platform and it gives a cam action locking itself to the tree.

Now screw a few more steps above your platform height, so you can step down onto your stand. Before disconnecting your lineman's belt, tie yourself off above your stand with another strap.

ALWAYS STAY STRAPPED TO THE TREE!!! If the tree has large branches as you climb, use two belts to get around them. Small branches I always cut off to speed up climbing. Now if you are only planning on having one or two hang ons, you should check out the "Fall Guy 20' retractor." Once your stand is hung it makes climbing up and down a breeze. I want to get a few but they is spendy frown

If anybody else has any tips I would love to hear them. Hanging portables is about the crappiest part of hunting smile

attach your climbing system to the tree...I use screw in steps...

so number one...screw in the steps...two...climb back down...three...prepare you're stand for the aproximate diamater of the tree...four...hook your pull up rope to your belt and to the stand...five...climb back up....six...wrap one leg around the tree and hook up your saftey harness...seven...pull up the stand....eight...attach it to the tree...I use hang-on's exclusively and it usually takes me less than 10 minutes to hang one....Oh, and always pay attention to where you want your stand to end up for shooting position...and be sure you last step allows for ease in making that last step to the stand....

Remember, there are certain manufacturers who don't use the "T" lock system like Alum-a-lok does. I have always preferred this type of system for added stability and above all, safety.

There are many times I've been able to hang my stands in trees that are less than perfect, e.g. size, branches, but are perfectly positioned from a location standpoint due to the lock-on config. of the Alum-a-lok vs. non locking.

the easiest way is to talk one of your buddy,s into coming over to BBQ. then when he gets there ask him if he wants to go for a quick ride to check out a possible hot spot.. very important to lie about size of buck you seen there last week.. let him believe you will bring him there during the rut. decide (spur of the moment of course;) to hang stand) then when you get to desired tree fake sudden cramp in leg. hopefully he will feel guilty and do work for you while you lay in shade trying get over sudden cramps. when stand is hung limp back to truck atleast part way. repeat as necessary till all stands are hung. note do not use leg cramps more than once per outing.. Good luck and happy hunting

the easiest way is to talk one of your buddy,s into coming over to BBQ. then when he gets there ask him if he wants to go for a quick ride to check out a possible hot spot.. very important to lie about size of buck you seen there last week.. let him believe you will bring him there during the rut. decide (spur of the moment of course;) to hang stand) then when you get to desired tree fake sudden cramp in leg. hopefully he will feel guilty and do work for you while you lay in shade trying get over sudden cramps. when stand is hung limp back to truck atleast part way. repeat as necessary till all stands are hung. note do not use leg cramps more than once per outing.. Good luck and happy hunting

grin

I use the climbing sticks they are a dream. I usually hit Menards up after season and get 16' for 25 bucks. I just use ratchet straps around them and the tree to tighten it then when I get to the top I put a harness belt around me and the tree get really close and tight to it then when you lean back all the way your only a few inches from the tree. Pull up the stand with a rope which I always leave on the tree stand so you can pull up your bow/gun. Get straps somewhat secured then ratchet them on. I do leave the platform up till I get it somewhat secured then when I push down on the platform it digs into the tree and becomes secured. I am also a big boy 300 lbs so I use a second strap and wrap it around the frame and the tree a few times to make sure it's secured. I usually hang stands 2 months out then a month before I double check to see how things stretched then day I climb in double check make sure nothing has happened.

When I hunt out of a hanger I use climbing sticks. They are easy to use, and really affordable if you look around for a good deal. My hanging stand itself is a nightmare, and use it very little these days(it's an old cheapo).

All my hang on stands have backpack style straps to carry it. If they are just webbing I will upgrqade them to something comfortable.

I use climbing sticks. They don't damage trees, they are lighter and they are WAY easier and faster to put up.

I hang my sticks one at a time. When I go to take the last stick, I bring my stand on my back using the carry straps. If you're tied to the tree there is no risk of falling backwards. I place the final step and then place the stand. Your step and stand should be at the same level so you can easily transition from the step to the stand. This is the place where most accidents occur and where most people are not tied in. With this method you also don't need a pulley or have to try and horse your stand up with a rope. You bring it up the tree the same way you carried it into the woods.

I also have my pull up rope attached to my belt or the stand so I can pull up my pack and bow once my stand is set. That way I don't have to go down those steps again until its time to retrieve my deer.

alot of good advice, I would put a couple steps in and practice at close to ground level. This will help you get used to how to hang the stand, and make it easier when you are 20' up in a tree.

alot of good advice, I would put a couple steps in and practice at close to ground level. This will help you get used to how to hang the stand, and make it easier when you are 20' up in a tree.

Yup! If/when I do get one of these that's exactly what I'll be doing.

I'm a little sketchy of hights, too, so it'll be a challange for sure and probaly won't ever be all that high up.

I hate Heights! and one of my friends loves hanging tree stands. He is like a monkey going up a tree. One problem he's 6'4" I'm 5'10" and when he puts in the screw in steps he likes to step big. Ladder sticks are nice so no matter who climbs it will be able to climb up and down. Find someone who likes to climb trees and give him ten bucks wink

I have an aluminum folding ladder that goes to 16'. I take that with, set it up, put up the stand just how I want it, then trim & put up the steps. I use sticks when I can. At this point I have one more hanger than I have sticks, so I use screw ins, usually on the one I know is going to stay put for a while. The cordless drill really helps get them started.