• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rainy River Sturgeon Bait

JimBuck

I'm heading up to RR in the middle of October and was thinking about a few things regarding bait/presentation. Have any of you guys had luck on cut/frozen shad? I know crawlers/shiners seem to be the go-to bait but I was wondering if others have experimented with different types of bait. Any shared thoughts or experience would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

I usually like to stick to the forage that's available to the fish. And really, I wouldn't bother with minnows. I know alot of guys prefer to throw a couple on with the crawlers, but I'm not convinced that makes much difference.

Lucky! I've been thinking of making a fall trip, but this fall is not good for me frown

Shad might be effective, but it's not native to the river up there, so I don't know how they'd respond to it. We tried some cut sucker this spring, but it didn't outproduce the crawlers.

Shad might be effective, but it's not native to the river up there, so I don't know how they'd respond to it

. We tried some cut sucker this spring, but it didn't outproduce the crawlers.

Are night crawlers native to the river? I don't see a lot of them swimming around usually.

Originally Posted By: Ralph Wiggum

Shad might be effective, but it's not native to the river up there, so I don't know how they'd respond to it

Are night crawlers native to the river? I don't see a lot of them swimming around usually.

in the spring the crawlers come out of the ground and sometimes get washed into the water so I would say they don't swim but they move in the current!

Originally Posted By: Ralph Wiggum

Crawlers are one of those high-protein, easy-to-get meals that almost no fish can pass up on if dangled in front of their eyes.