• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

need help on value of boat***PICS ADDED***

jwmiller33

Hello all. im thinking about selling my boat, basically because im in my last yr of college, the economy is tight, and i need some money for school. i just bought my boat this january, and basically tore down the whole thing and rebuilt it with new marine plywood and marine carpet, added a front casting deck with storage etc etc...

basically im looking to get some input on what would be a fair askin price if i was to sell it... here are some specs....

boat is a mid 80s Lund S-16 delux

motor is a mid 80s 35HP johnson long shaft tiller, with electric start and new prop

new marine plywood floor and benches, and added front casting deck with storage upfront

i would include my minnkota trollinb motor which is a 55lb maxxum (GREAT trolling motor)

i would also include my 2 deep cycle batteries, one goes in the back for trolling motor and elec start and one goes up front in the storage for graph and lights

i wired and installed navigation lights to a switch (Bow and stern lights)

i would also include my hummingbird graph. not sure on exact model but ill check when i get home tonight, but it is a 595c i wanna say but its value is around 400-500$$ and it has GPS

i recently rewired the trailer lights and installed new lights. the trailer is very nice and heavy duty, includes spair tire. also just replaced hitch receiver this summer as well

rod holders

i will add pics later tonight when i get home from work...

id just like to get some of your opinions on a fair asking price for selling my boat. i was thinkin somewhere around 3000. i feel that all the improvements and modifications i made really increased the value. thank you all for your time

here is a link to the thread i made showing my entire process of redoing everything in the boat: http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...s_D#Post1867152

NO! Don't sell it man! But if you really have to, I would also wait till' spring. What's nice about your situation with the restoration is that you documented all the work done to her. As a buyer, these are things I would love to see if I was in the market for something like that. Good luck on your decision. How about donating plasma? *half joking* laugh

thx for the input guys. yes i know i have a better chance of selling it in the spring. i am a accounting and financial mgmt major at UST, so trust me i know all about market values corresponding withh supply and demand. im just looking for a practical estimate of the current value of my asset. nobody has posted any replies yet on ballpark numbers. anybody have any input? i will probably wait til spring to sell it to get more value from it, but that wont stop me from listing it on certain websites over the fall and winter

NO! Don't sell it man! But if you really have to, I would also wait till' spring. What's nice about your situation with the restoration is that you documented all the work done to her. As a buyer, these are things I would love to see if I was in the market for something like that. Good luck on your decision. How about donating plasma? *half joking* laugh

haha ive thought about donating plasma before, among other things. how much do u get for it?

JW,

To answer your question, this one's a little tricky for me, but I've restored and sold quite a few boats like yours in the past few years. One thing I would reccommend would be to hold off on the extras and sell them separately. Offer them on the side if the buyer wants them. You eliminate a lot of potential buyers with a spendy initial price.

Here's my Appraisal:

The interior restoration is a huge plus, it's now comparable to a Lund Pike. A quick exterior investment of about $200 which would involve sanding down the sides, buying 5 cans of Lund factory red spray paint, and putting current decals on it would really make your boat a complete package and add a Ton of value. The boat would then literally look almost brand new.

The 35 HP Evenrude is a huge asset. Those are very dependable engines that have a great history behind them. Educated buyers can appreciate this.

It appears to be a homemade trailer, which isn't the greatest thing in the world, but at least it appears to be in pretty nice shape. I'd say the trailer brings average value.

Overall, I'd say AS IS this package in the springtime would go for about $2,200 without the depthfinder or trolling motor. If you were to do a exterior restoration, you'd be looking about $2,900. Right now AS IS, probably $1,600 - $1,800.

Here's one that I did last spring. A before and after exterior. It really makes a difference on the exterior. Sets u apart from anyone else. If it helps you at all, this one I think sold peak spring season for $2,750 w depth finder and deep cycle. A very similar boat to yours, only 25hp instead of a 35hp, but does have the name brand shorelandr trailer which evens them out pretty much.

Boat sanded down and prepped for paint.

boat1.jpg

boat2.jpg

Finished Product

boat3.jpg

Fishlake, I'm also curious about that paint job? How did you handle painting her with the trailer? I've wanted to repaint mine for a while but just don't have the tools for the task.

Getting back on topic here, JW I would consider repainting that boat if it's not too much work. Then think about selling her... wink

Yes depth sounder or graph.

If you insist on selling now I think you may get $1500 with the graph in our area a bit more in the cities area. In spring with some paint you may get almost double but the trailer may sway people away so maybe see if you can find a nice trailer for cheap.

Here's one that I did last spring. A before and after exterior. It really makes a difference on the exterior. Sets u apart from anyone else. If it helps you at all, this one I think sold peak spring season for $2,750 w depth finder and deep cycle. A very similar boat to yours, only 25hp instead of a 35hp, but does have the name brand shorelandr trailer which evens them out pretty much.

Boat sanded down and prepped for paint.

boat1.jpg

boat2.jpg

Finished Product

boat3.jpg

Dang that paint job looks awesome!! I just completely re-did my 16' Lund and the paint is in decent condition but I would love for it to look like that. Did you just take it to an auto body place to have it painted or how did you do it? Also...where do you pick up that new Lund logo sticker?

Hey all,

This was about the 10th boat I've done now (practice makes perfect, haha). It took a few to get the professional look that this one has. Here's the steps I've found the best to paint the exterior of a lund.

1)Strip all decals, license # by using a heat gun or blow dryer.

2) Using a commercial adhesive remover (goo gone works too) I remove any old residue from the stickers.

3) Using a 220&360 grit sand paper on the orbital sander, I sand down all the sides, including feathering out any deep scratches in the paint and aluminum, as thats where you see those deep bare aluminum spots on my before picture.

4) Wipe off all the paint dust using a dry rag

5) Tape down the exterior lines of exact surface that needs to be painted using masking tape. I Use the Masking tape to get my specific lines, including the aluminum strip line that you can see.

6) Tape with the drop canvas or paper near the back end of the original tape lines. (you can see in my orginal that I had the areas I didn't want painted covered with paper to prevent overspray.

7) Wipe sides down squeeky clean with a fast dry enamel reducer (or mild soapy water will suffice if enamel reducer isn't available) THE KEY IS TO HAVING A CLEAN PAINTING SURFACE.

8) Spray away. Using a long comfortable sweeping side to side motion, with a slight overlap, start on the top of the side and work your way down to the bottom, do one top to bottom arm swept section at a time. By using a slight overlap from the previous section work your way foward and repeat. The key to consistent painting is to keep the can (or gun) a equal distance away from the side of the boat, so if you start out your stroke 12 in away from the side, make sure you're finishing the stroke 12 in from the side, and with equal paint pressure.

9) I usually use 3 coats of Red paint, but if I decide to prime the sides, I just use 2. Let dry about 1/2 to two hours between coats, depending on heat and humidity of the day. Paint still should be tacky when applying mulitiple coats.

10) Let dry, and peel off the tape for the finished product!

For the record, I do use a paint gun hooked up to a compressor with an air regulator and the whole professional get up. The paint I use is actually a Red automotive paint to a type of Ford Truck (I can't remember exactly). Lund doesn't offer it's paint in Quarts or Pints, it's only available in professional spray cans that run about $25-$30 a piece if I remember correctly. They do a decent job and are a way for most of us without the equipment to tackle the job without investing a ton of money.

The paint I use runs $125 a pint!!!! Not Cheap!!! That red pigment has always been the most expensive. I do like it because I have more control with the gun, and can get a automotive like professional result with no drips or sags.

As for the decals, I used to get them at Hannay's marine, but Lund dumped them as a dealer 2 yrs ago, so I lost my decal connection. The decals do run about $25 a piece for the two-tone.

Hope this all helps ya out!!

Any questions feel free to ask!

Fishlake, I'm also curious about that paint job? How did you handle painting her with the trailer? I've wanted to repaint mine for a while but just don't have the tools for the task.

Getting back on topic here, JW I would consider repainting that boat if it's not too much work. Then think about selling her... wink

Ditto that from me.

Yes depth sounder or graph.

If you insist on selling now I think you may get $1500 with the graph in our area a bit more in the cities area. In spring with some paint you may get almost double but the trailer may sway people away so maybe see if you can find a nice trailer for cheap.

i don't see what the deal is with the trailer? never had any problems with it and it works like a charm. it has rollers that make loading and unloading very very easy. its a very heavy duty trailer that could handle a much bigger boat, and the trailer has all new lights/wiring... i am planning on selling it in the metro also.

to each his own i guess... i'm not in a rush to sell it, so i figure i will put it up for a price i want for it and wait for the right buyer... someone who comes and checks it out and see's all the work that has been done to both the trailer and boat will really appreciate it and see the intrinsic value.

i have thought about repainting it before, but then i think that i would be too anal about not wanting to get any scratches or scuffs on the paint and thats something i really dont want. the more i think about it, the more i think i will keep it. we will see i guess