• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

do plastics really work or not

mrpike1973

i have tried all summer using jigs and plastics mimmic minnows and storm plastic fish i have not caught one pike they say that when fishing you should always try to do new methods i use raps 85% of the time the rest with spinnerbaits am i missing the boat just want your advice its hard to have faith and confidence in something that just doesnt work what methods do you all use thank you

I only use them to throw into thick weeds to get close to the fish with a weedless presentation. When the fish are active often things like xraps call fish better with more noise. But if conditions are tough I move in close with weightless or t-rigged plastics.

I don't fish specifically for pike all that much, but I think they do. I don't know how many I have caught on soft plastic jerkbaits especially. I caught some nice ones on jig/plastic combo while actually targeting them last week(see pike pics 09). Thing is, they fish a lot slower so you won't cover as much water.

Ya gotta put the right bait to the right conditions. If you're fishing a day where the fish aren't active and they're just sitting on the edge of a deep weedline those things can be deadly. If they're active you're better off w/ something that moves faster, makes some flash/noise, etc.

I catch lots of pike with Gulp minnows and Gulp worms on jigs and spinner rigs. I should point out that I am usually targeting walleyes with these methods, but 80% of the time I catch pike instead. Oh well, I love the rod shake from the norts!

I think the problem is your choice of plastic. I have about 50 mimmic minnows/storm wild eyes. Never caught a thing on them. I think the body is too small for the size head they put on them. So unless the fish are in a really good mood, I tend to shy away from such a fast moving small lure. Could I recomend you try a 5" swimbait? That way you get to put the size head you want on a large profile lure. By mid august I almost exclusively toss these lures for walleyes but in a 4" style. The walleye assassin paddle tails in light purple are my favorite. I rig these with the mimmic minnow heads(parrot). The shape of those heads give more wobble to the lure.

Have caught many pike using a Zoom Super Fluke in 5 or 7 inch size - white. Rigged weightless with a widegap hook. This year caught a boatload using 5 to 7 inch swimbaits. This actually proved to be the most productive lure we used.