Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mudslinger64

something strange by my bait site

8 posts in this topic

the day before yesterday i went into a bait that hasn't been hit yet.i made a honey/bacon grease burn,there was a light wind pretty steady to the south east.anyway i went back in yesterday and about 50 feet south east of the bait and burn (the direction the wind was blowing at the time of the burn) i came across a dead tree that was completely torn apart.there was parts of the tree scattered across the trail that i walk in on that were not there the day before.i am almost positive it was a bear but no claw marks or anything,it was a pretty punky dead pine tree that was full of ants.i was thinking maybe that tree held some scent from the burn but my bait was not touched.i did another burn yesterday and sprayed more liquid smoke on the trees/leaves around the bait.when i was doing the burn it was wierd i had the feeling of being watched and was looking over my shoulder a lot more than i usually do.what do you think has anyone had a bear do something like this before?i really doubt anyone was in there but me.i am hoping this one takes off,i already have it set up with a stand all i need is a bear.i went in today and dumped another 5 gals of old fryer oil on and around the bait,nothing has changed still untouched......

Ants are a main food source for bear. It is possible that the scent from the burn was appealing to the bear but your bait crib contents are not. Bear sometimes get angry when they show up to eat and the bait crib is empty. They will tear down your bait site sign, climb up to your stand and tear up the seat etc. He may have taken out his aggression on that dead tree.

i am using doughnuts,bread,corn feed with oats and mollasses,i have been mixing a 5 gal pail half with the doughnuts and half with the corn feed then splashing a little mollasses over it all.liquid smoke sprayed around the site and so far about 20 gals of old fryer oil dumped on the ground and splashed over the bait.i am not sure if it is the bait itself,i am thinking it should be pretty good.maybe there is one lurking around the edges until it knows it is safe to hit it,thats what i am hoping for anyway i will just have to wait and see.......

Do ya know how close the a nother site might be? yours or sombody elses? He might have been full, but still telling other bears in the area that this is his site. It's a bear for sure, but if there is alot of natural feed in the area he just marking his territory but showing alot of aggression at a food source. My biggest bear showed up an took over a site where a smaller bear was first on the scene, the smaller bear was just rolling a few logs aside for the food, then the big found it an really opened it up, the next time the smaller bear was at the site the big guy did not like it, an threw logs that weigh 80 pounds or more, up to fifteen feet away, the place was destroyed, it took me almost forty minuest to recover logs an set the crib, all the while with a very uneasy feeling about it. Good luck, boar

i don't know of any other bait in the area,i haven't seen any others baiting close by.i have seen some berry patches but not enough to amount to much.....

I'm no expert, hard to say why he did'nt touch it, but it seems like a display of agression or dominance, why eat ants on the light side when he can dine at the buffet. ive seen many logs riped open for ants but not scatterd all over like you discribe. I love this sport something different to learn all the time. Boar