• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Okuma SAF55 Salina Baitfeeder on order!

howellcanufish

Fellas, I just placed the order today from Catfish Connection and hope to have it by Friday. I have had some horrible luck lately with fishing reels...snapping the handle off my ABF50 and a disappointing go of it with my new Penn Captiva CLL5000 Liveliner. The Penn is way too quiet for my taste and the drag is not nearly as smooth/even as my Okuma. Hopefully this new reel will be the clear ticket to catfishing bliss!!

Anyone else had any troubles with their reels??

Captiva? No wonder you don't like it. I got the Penn Slammer Live Liner..much better but a lot more money too. They all got the cheap models. If you want to hear your clicker, get an Abu 7000 and forget about the bait runners.

Salina looks like a good top end reel tho...I'd like to handle one.

For the right price I would buy an ABF-50 in a heartbeat but the clicker is just a bit too quiet. I've been using a Daiwa Saltist and the clicker on that thing is nice and smooth and VERY noisy. Let us know how your Salina works out....I'm looking for a baitfeeder setup.

has anyone tried replacing the stock spring with a stiffer spring??? Maybe that would make your clicker louder...

Interesting question man...I wish there were a way to make that clicker a little louder because I love that ABF-50. I usually use my 6600C4 when I'll need a louder clicker but I just hate the gearing on it as well as getting snagged is much easier getting out with a spinning reel IMO.

How the heck did ya snap the handle off the ABF-50? I have that same reel and I love it and use it as my primary Flathead reel.

Set the hook on a 27lber and off it went. Very inconvenient timing. Also, stripped drive gears out in the avenger as well. If the clicker on the salina is anywhere near the same as that of the avenger I will be happy. The Captiva was just way too quiet.

Pretty sure WWG snapped a handle on his Okuma too on a hookset

As did crazyice, but it was also on the Avenger. Never heard of an issue with the Epixor's.

I've have clicker issues with a couple Avengers. Took them back and got an Epixor.

Howell, I hope your happy with the Salina. Man you've been given the royal run-around.

Originally Posted By: dtro
Pretty sure WWG snapped a handle on his Okuma too on a hookset

As did crazyice, but it was also on the Avenger. Never heard of an issue with the Epixor's.

I've have clicker issues with a couple Avengers. Took them back and got an Epixor.

Howell, I hope your happy with the Salina. Man you've been given the royal run-around.

Ron at Okuma has been trying pretty hard to make it right with me, but with him and Mike handling 2 continents of customer service calls they have a very hard time getting back to customers in a timely fashion. I'm going on the 3rd week of phone tag with the company. We're in a holding pattern waiting for a Coronado, Epixor or another Salina to show up in the recon bin. They did however send out another handle today just to get me fishing again while we wait.

The new reel showed up today and WOW, it is a thing of beauty! It has a nice brauny feel but not heavy by any means. The drag feels nice and smooth, clicking out of baitfeeding mode with ease. Large sized powerhandle feels great and fills the palm of my hand. I can't wait to get it on the rod and at the business end of a good sized cat. Unfortunately I won't be making it out until Sunday night due to prior committments...aka 30th birthday party at my house. So it will have to wait until then. I will report more after I get a chance to unspool it a couple times.

Unfortunately I won't be making it out until Sunday night due to prior committments...aka 30th birthday party at my house. So it will have to wait until then.

I got a text last night that completely contradicts this statement. How'd she handle?

Soooo, I stood up to the wife yesterday and told her I'll clean house/garage/yard tomorrow and I'm going fishing! Reel worked great other than I didn't get the chance to bring anything other than my bullhead back to shore. Very nice piece of equipment. Still sounds quiet next to buddy Bart's Abu 7000ci hammering away. I definately like it's heavy dutiness!

Soooo, I stood up to the wife yesterday and told her I'll clean house/garage/yard tomorrow and I'm going fishing!

oh oh... that a slippery slope your starting down.... bartering the honeydoo list for fishing... I'll tell you from experience the Mrs.... comes out on top every time... and pretty soon she will come to think of it as the norm...

But hey... if she's not happy.... well you know how that goes.

Glad to here the equipment is working good.

Soooo, I stood up to the wife yesterday and told her I'll clean house/garage/yard tomorrow and I'm going fishing! Reel worked great other than I didn't get the chance to bring anything other than my bullhead back to shore. Very nice piece of equipment. Still sounds quiet next to buddy Bart's Abu 7000ci hammering away. I definately like it's heavy dutiness!

That is a serious reel! I like the ABU 7000 cti's. For hardy kitty use and heavy Muskie, hard to beat it.