Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hydro

Warning for 6 cyl Mercury owners!

3 posts in this topic

I thought I’d post this as an “FYI” for all those who have 6 cylinder Mercury outboards. One morning last week I noticed an oil slick in back of the boat that was unusual, and then later in the day the “Low Oil” warning buzzer went off. I put a gallon of oil in the oil tank, which was odd, because I had just put in a gallon recently, and went back out. After about 20 minutes of run time, the buzzer went off again and the oil was gone. At $30.00 a gallon this is a problem, not to mention the issue of running out of oil out on the lake.

The problem turned out to be a cracked oil reservoir cap on the tank under the cowl, which allowed the pressurized system to push the oil right out through the cracked cap. It makes a big mess under the cowl! The fix is simple, just replace the cap ($40 to $70 part), and apparently this is a rather common problem in these motors. This is something that I will add to my maintenance list to check.