• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite cat structure?

kruger

What is everyone's favorite place to find cats along the river? I feel like I my fallen tree and log jam spots are ok for now, but what else do should I really look for to locate and get some bigger fish in the boat? As I am pretty new to the catfish world I'm fine with the 8 to 10 pound fish for now but it seems like thats all my spots hold ( fallen tree's and big log jams) so I would like to know where to look for some bigger fish, add some more spots to my list, and most of all PUT SOME BIGGER FISH IN THE BOAT!

Thanks Kruger.

first welcome to the cat world.

I love the snags they hold fish speacially the ones that are growing stuff on them. an old time river rat once told me that if its got live growing stuff on it(weeds) that the snag is full of life and most likely hold cats.

Look for tributaries that are putting fresh water into the river and pay attention where the baitfish are and fish the current breaks or seams,

Deep water depends on the time of day for me. morning and evening above the hole as close to the first big depth change. Mid day I will fish the deepest water of the hole.

Dont over look the shallow water I fish this stuff at night.Look for baitfish and current seams also.

hope this helps and good luck

My favorite spots are where there is a nice big snag with a moderate hole right before the snags. One of the best spots I ever fished was this scenario plus it had a creek that fed into the deep hole right before the snag. Tons of bait fish and tons of big fish.

Also I have caught many of my big fish in a spot with no real structure and a modest depth of 6 feet. This spot though had tons of bait fish and was even on the inside bend of the river (overlooked by most people). A handful of 30-40 lb fish as well as my personal best were caught at that place.

Favorite Cat Structures..... The one that holds cats that day!

The River is dynamic.... always changing... From day to day... week to week... month to month... and year to year.

As a newbie your hammering your spots over and over. Try something new... as Gordie mentioned above. Lots of people think that there is only one spot or type of structure that holds fish.

They are everywhere! Including the big ones.

Anyone else like to fish bridge pilings?

No!

I like to look for where the magical pixy fairy's are hanging out and then ask them where the Flathead God gnomes are spending their time. At this point I would make a sacrificial donation to the Flathead God's once the FG gnomes are found and confronted. They then send me to a warlock who caries a magical Clonk, who gives me GPS cords to the active spots of the evening.

I have a whole another approach, but it is involving astrology, planet/moon alignment to the black-hole Qwarck and then followed by a complicated mathematical equation.

If all else fails grin , I like to find active fish off the bottom with my electronics, jumping bait fish at the surface and give the area about 45 minutes to see if anything is feeding and active. If not move on! I am not a particular or superstitious type of cat guy. Just start searching once you leave the boat launch and do not stop till you are back to the launch.

No Borch, more like Wizards and Warriors grin

I tell ya, when the Renaissance Festival is in full swing, the bite is much more easier to locate laugh

No, just having some fun with ya Pug. I have not had to much luck fishing bridge pillars and pilings, but in theory they can hold fish and some big ones on the slack side. Just very had to fish, unless there is something to tie off on or you want to risk loosing anchor wink

Bridge inspectors have almost lost their lives to flats the size of Volkswagen's inspecting bridge supports, pilings and pillars wink

Diver,%2Bgiant%2Bcatfish%2B002.jpg

I like to look for where the magical pixy fairy's are hanging out and then ask them where the Flathead God gnomes are spending their time. At this point I would make a sacrificial donation to the Flathead God's once the FG gnomes are found and confronted. They then send me to a warlock who caries a magical Clonk, who gives me GPS cords to the active spots of the evening.

I have a whole another approach, but it is involving astrology, planet/moon alignment to the black-hole Qwarck and then followed by a complicated mathematical equation.

I'll have one of what this guys having!

Just a joke guys and having some fun.

No need for personal attacks.

IMO there is no set approach to finding flats. Some pretty good patterns and maybe some guys have it down, but it seems to change week by week, Again IMO.

At least I offered some advice. smirk

To answer your question regarding personal favorite structure. I like fishing timber a lot. At night I typically let the shad guide me to the right places which is typically shallower than where I fish during daylight. Pay close attention to the spots your fishing or where you've had success. What makes the area's significant for holding fish? Just being aware and observing the spots you fish will help a lot.

My favorite structural element for catfish...no doubt...is the surface....yup...the ceiling of there environment.

Catfish use the ceiling as a means to drive bait to an area they can prey upon them. And when they are in the mood to be predators, nothing is more fun than work that pattern.

I have worked it in many ways, from floats to surface popping bass baits, and even 10" Muskie swimbaits. When they are on the hunt, not much can beat the thrill and power of a 25 pond class kitty tail dancing on the surface after discovering that meal was not free and easy.

You Flathead wranglers need to try some large Swimbaits, like Hammer Swimbaits on or very near the surface in early fall...especially at night.

You will be amazed at how fast a 5 gallon pail whole in the surface can open up...and a 6" swimbait disappears in a big SLURP. wink

It takes a lot of munchies to fill a mudeye tummy grin I've caught plenty of them using an artificial but they need to see the bait... and that tends to be tuff for them to do on the Minnesota in the summer. Flatheads (and walleyes) will lay along a riprap shoreline in ambush mode waiting for something to swim by...a crank bait "trolled" nice and slow upstream along the rock has many times made for a good drag test. Right now, the flatheads are scattered all over but there are plenty of rocky edges along the Minnesota that many times are overlooked. If you want to try something other than the ol wood - hole - snag thing...even with livebait, look for the rock.

It takes a lot of munchies to fill a mudeye tummy grin I've caught plenty of them using an artificial but they need to see the bait... and that tends to be tuff for them to do on the Minnesota in the summer. Flatheads (and walleyes) will lay along a riprap shoreline in ambush mode waiting for something to swim by...a crank bait "trolled" nice and slow upstream along the rock has many times made for a good drag test. Right now, the flatheads are scattered all over but there are plenty of rocky edges along the Minnesota that many times are overlooked. If you want to try something other than the ol wood - hole - snag thing...even with livebait, look for the rock.

Good points Dark! The ambush factor plays heavy into this pattern, and rock pockets offers a kitty a nice place to pounce from. Yup..Sumo Kittys "Pounce" too..Eh. wink

The THUMP-THUMP-THUMP of the tail of the large Hammer Swim baits is the hog call'r....if they can't see it, they hear and feel it. It will not work everyday/night, but when it does...Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

I AM PUTTING MYSELF AT YOUR MERCY.I HAVE BEEN AN AVID CATFISHERMAN FOR AT LEAST 15 YEARS NOW.IT IS ACTUALLY MORE OF AN OBSESSION.IT HAS CAUSED ME TO BE THE CENTER OF A FAIR AMOUNT OF RIBBING FROM MY FISHING BUDDIES,ESPECIALLY THE WALLEYE GUYS(I GUESS IF YOU CALL WALLEYE ROUGHFISH,THEY TAKE IT PERSONAL!).I AM ASHAMED TO ADMIT THAT THE LARGEST CATFISH I HAVE EVER LANDED WAS A 12 POUND CHANNEL CAT.

I HAVE MORE HOURS OUT FISHING CATS THAN I COULD EVEN COUNT.I DO CATCH A LOT OF THEM,BUT NEVER ANYTHING LARGE.I FISH THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER,THE CROW RIVER,THE ST CROIX RIVER,AND THE MINNESOTA RIVER EVERY CHANCE I GET,SOMETIMES FROM SHORE,SOMETIMES FROM MY BOAT.

I AM GOING TO TRY FISHING IN RED WING FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS WEEKEND,AND I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFORMATION THAT COULD HELP ME OUT.I AM BRINGING SUCKERS,CRAWLERS,CUTBAIT AND BULLHEADS FOR BAIT.THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN OFFER.

Ah...that's what i've been fishing the last week here and it has definitely paid off in my new PB for flatty's. It makes me wanna explore the Blue Earth more since that is pretty rocky...

Definitely some sumo's in that river...just hard to find those deeper holes in that river, at least it was for me. That and I had troubles getting caught in the rocks and I also wasn't used to the quick current.

Definitely won't be getting your boat up there that's for sure haha.