• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

02 700 Polaris Sportsman Tune Up?

BigWadeS

Any dealer or "after market ATV catalog" or search on the internet. I would give you a web site, but they don't like it on here. You will like your 700, I love mine, and its tough. Don't listen to the bashing of Polaris on here.

So as I have posted, I recently got a used 2002 Sportsman 700. I have noticed it has a small gas leak almost under the tank or a little ahead of it. Is this a known issue or just with mine? Hose, tank, fuel filter or carbs cause this? I have a manual and not afraid of turning a wrench or two. Trying to narrow down the learning curve a little bit. Any suggestions I would gladly take, or is this something I need to take to a shop?

Thanks,

Wade

In the vicinity of the tank, I would look into the fuel petcock or the lines running to-and-fro.

Access to the tank is easy by taking off the front plastic and side panels. If you're only looking at the petcock, you might get away with only removing the side panel on that side of the machine.

I have a 2003 700, heres the things to check.

Rear Wheel Bearings: Jack up the rear of the machine grab each end of the tire(left side and right side) try to wiggle back and forth and feel for play in the wheel. If the tire wiggles more then about 3/8" of an inch then I'd say you need new bearings which are hard to do if you never done that before. Since you need a press.

Ball Joints: On the front tires grab the top and bottom of the tire and wiggle, trying to feel for play if its 3/8" then you need new ball joints. FYI polaris's are known for the ball joints going out if you do not grease them regularly.

Buy yourself a grease gun because polaris's of that year have and need to be greased alot, ball joints I try to do about once every two weeks. I grease my U-Joints once a month, which is a pain because some of them are hard to get at. Then all the bushings on the a-arms front and rear and the sway bar. In all theres about 20-25 grease zurks. But greaseing depends on how much you ride I ride mine about 3 times a week. And they have about 4,000 miles on it.

Other things to check are the air filter, tie rods, hub fuild, and the gear box fuild. I do this about once a year.