• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What walleye rod to purchase?

waxworm09

I am going to buy a Pflueger President 6730 reel, and looking for a nice rod for it. I see the Cabelas XMLti rods are on sale for 109, and the XML for 69. I will be using it for casting jigs about 70% of the time, lindy rigging 20% of the time, and trolling bottom bouncers about 10% of the time. Does anyone have an opinion on the rods I mentioned, or does anyone have any advice on a different rod that costs 50-100 bucks that would pair up with the president reel? Looking for any help I can find, thanks.

Rods are all about feel, the one(s) that feel the best to you are the best one(s) to get.

Given what you said you'd be doing with it, I'd go with a 7 foot medium power fast action rod ---- if you weren't going to be pulling bottom bouncers with it I'd go with a medium-light power rod. If 7 feet feels too long for you then 6'6" is a good choice too, but I wouldn't go shorter than that.

The rods I use the most are Setyrs, St. Croixs and Shimanos - I've been happy with all of them. St. Croixs and Shimanos can be found in your price range, Setyrs are higher-priced though.

Good choice on the reel -- haven't used that reel myself but have heard some really good things about them.

I bought a GM brand rod 7' med and love this rod. Great action and feel and great price. I did have a eye break off but just walked in with it and walked back out in 10min. with a new one. I use it for all the thing's you want to use it for and more great all around rod IMO.

For the price of rod you are looking at I would recommend the Falcon Original or Lowrider rods, excellent feel, great workmanship and quality materials. The Shimano Compre is an excellent rod in that price range as well.

I'm not sure about the other rods mentioned, but i am very pleased with my last rod purchased. It is a Fenwick AV medium Light think the rod length might only be 6' or 6'6 max. I'm not sure what they retail at normally, but picked mine up for 99.99 on the defect rack.

I like the medium light rods for casting jigs, but with the bottom bouncers i don't use so can't say for sure. If your gonna be pulling bigger plugs or heavy bottom bouncers might look at 2 rods instead of one.

Basically i think you just gotta worry mainly about being able to feel the bite and after that having your drag set. Get a rod you feel comfortable with when you have the reel on it. check the balance.

Good luck and have fun

I'm not sure about the other rods mentioned, but i am very pleased with my last rod purchased. It is a Fenwick AV medium Light think the rod length might only be 6' or 6'6 max. I'm not sure what they retail at normally, but picked mine up for 99.99 on the defect rack.

I like the medium light rods for casting jigs, but with the bottom bouncers i don't use so can't say for sure. If your gonna be pulling bigger plugs or heavy bottom bouncers might look at 2 rods instead of one...

Those TechnaAV's are sweet rods IMO, great lifetime warrenty. Joe's has them on sale for a great discount right now. I would have picked some up when I upgraded my rods, but couldn't afford them at the time. Ended up buying the Fewick Walleye Elite Tech's and am very happy with them. For me, the ML works great for jigging/rigging - 6'6/6'9 is very versile length for both. I use a Med Fenwick HMG Casting rod for bottom bouncing, light enough for detecting the bite, but enough backbone for a good hookset.

Let me throw Limit Creek rods out there. I got the 6-9 ML "Smoothie" rod and its great for jigging, lindy-rig, and casting small cranks. It runs about $90, so within your price range. If you have any questions you can contact the company directly and get a personalized response right away. They offer a great warranty and are very friendly.

Also they are sponsor on this site so that is a plus. If anything give Limit Creek's rods a look, its shouldn't be too hard to find a link to their HSOforum on forum page.

I am a fan of the Shimano Cruicial or Compre models. I would say that you would need a 7' medium in either of those models with a fast tip. DON'T get an extra fast tip if you are planning on using it for Bottom Bouncers. The Fenwick Elite Walleye series defininately looked nice when I saw them at the store the other day.