• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tullip Seed Pods

leechmann

Last fall I planted lots of tullip bulbs. They grew this spring and the plants were very healthy and lasted along time. Throughout the summer the plants developed a pod on the top. As the plants are dying, this pod is splitting and it looks like they are full of seeds. Is this how the plant reproduces? I though maybe the bulbs split and that how they reproduced. Wondering if I could plant the seeds and have something become of them. Have any of you tried this, and how did it turn out?

Tanks, Leechmann

Some plants reproduce both sexually (thru seeds) and asexually(by means of other plant parts such as bulbs,corms, tubers runners etc). Tulips are one of these plants.

Plants that come from the bulbs you dig up and split will be an exact duplicate of the parent plant. Plants that you grow from seed will not be. I have never grown tulips from seed, but I believe you could. It would probably take a good 2-3 years before plants grown from seed would be mature enough to flower. To me this isn't really worth the effort, but if you've got some extra out of the way garden space to use as a nurse bed and the time and inclination, give it a try.