• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What size PowerPro?

TrophyEyes

So I am heading up to Lake of the Woods in a week or so. I hear they are jigging in 30 FOW. Now I have always used mono for jigging walleyes, but at 30ft, I feel that I am going to lose some sensetivity. I am putting some PowerPro on my jigging rod, but I am questioning what size line to use. I have tried it before using 8# (2# diameter) before and hated it because it cut my finger. I always finger the line, even during a quick hookset. I am thinking of switching to 20# (6# diameter) and running a 6# floro leader. What do you guys think of that? Hopefully I get the sensetivity without cutting my finger up. I will also use this rod for tossing swim baits and casting small crankbaits.

For vertical jigging in 30 fow I'd probably go with mono first (actually, I'd use gamma copolymer) === I much prefer it over power pro for most jigging situations.

If you want the power pro, I think the 20 lb test / 6 lb diameter would be a good way to go.

I do use Gamma and have used it for years. It is amazing stuff, I don't buy anything else. I have a Shimano light rod that I will be using 6# gamma on for jigging, but I also have a light Loomis that is just a little longer and a bit more stout for setting the hook at those deeper depths.

I have used fireline and am not a big fan. It has let me down a few times including watching my favorite pike lure flying off into the deep blue after the line snapped while casting (not at the knot).

Thanks guys for the input, any other comments are appreciated.

I would stick with 8# or 10#. Will cut water better and get lighter jigs deeper faster and with better feel. Back off the drag so when you set the hook it slips a bit. When you feel that hit take the finger off the line by pointing down at the water at hook set.

I use 1/8 and 2/10 for most jigging and light rigging (Red or low vis Green)....4/15 for trolling cranks...6/20 for more wood and heavy cover situations...50 and 65 pound for heavy rigging cats...rarely I use the 80 lb Power Pro.

Depending on the water clarity I may use a 4' section of Gama 100% Fluorocarbon leader, or a 2' section under the ice.