Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Huskie

New door

9 posts in this topic

I need to replace the door that goes from my garage directly into the kitchen. I just have a standard steel 36 in. door now that's been there for 30 years. I would imagine the new ones need to have some fire or smoke rating, can I find a good, fairly priced door at one of the three big box stores that will work? I've used the mastercraft brand on some rentals and will not go that route. Any other brands that would be better either in steel or fiberglass,that I could buy at those stores, thanks.

My door is a 30 minute wood door. The darn thing is very heavy with self closing hinge. Not sure what MN considers in their code but AZ allows rated wood.

I had a Reliabilt installed from the big box store with an L, and had issues with the threshold....

i think i would go with something from a higher quality lumberyard

Arizona requires a wood or steel 30 min door,and it has to be a self closer. Found out when I sold my house out there last year.

Had to replace it before the walk through.

Not sure out here in Minn.

I got it from a big box with an H and was very pleased.

in mn it has to be a steel, firerated, self closing door. door doesn't have to have a closer on it, but it has to have self-closing hinges that latch the door shut, when you go from a garage to a house! A door like this is going to be a bit spendier than a typical door. but, I think i would go to a lumber yard before going to a box store. I have installed plenty of doors for friends and others that were from these big box stores, and although they work, they tend to take twice as long to install. the doors aren't exactly flat, so it takes some tweeking of the jambs to make things look right, which usually involves a few f bombs while casing the door.

I recently put one in from the Home I call depot and it works very nice and was easy to install. I don't remeber the name brand or the price as it was my brother's house. It also is a stocked item not a special order like at some other big box stores.

IRC section 309.1 reguarding opening protection states that openings between the garage and residence shall be equipped with a solid wood door not less than 1-3/8 thick, solid or honeycombed steel doors not less than 1-3/8 inch thick, or a 20 minute fire rated door. Hope this helps...Also note the requirement for self closing hinges has been ommittted and not required anymore.

I recently put one in from the Home I call depot and it works very nice and was easy to install. I don't remeber the name brand or the price as it was my brother's house. It also is a stocked item not a special order like at some other big box stores.
That Home only had one firedoor, 20 mn.six panel model. It was a Jeld-Wen for about $170, anyone know much about that window and door company? The local lumber yard could order from their supplier a diff. brand for a little over $200, probably get what you pay for. I'll check the L box store next and make a decision.

Go to a local lumberyard and ask for a bayer built (Belgrade, MN)door or a donlin door(St. Cloud, MN). Prices will be the same and quality will be higher. You might actually get a salesman that knows what they are talking about also!