• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fuel/water separator filters

Borch

After having a few trips ruined by water in fuel, (usually just after filling the boat up) I decided to install a Racor inline Fuel/water separator filter. In talking with a few guys who have installed these it has eliminated their fuel issues. The 10 micron filter pretty much takes care of any pariticles or water before they make it to the fuel filter in the motor.

Just wondering how many are running these in their boats? In checking around the marine dealers around hear it doesn't sound like they sell a lot of them.

Seems like pretty cheap insurance to me.

Originally Posted By: PerchJerker
My motor has a fuel / water seperating filter built into it. I agree, very nice to have. I had water in my gas a few years ago and it notified me right away!

Please explain how it notified you.

It has a sensor connected to an alarm, it beeps if it senses water.

I like the thread, I'm all about preventative maintenance that gives you more TOTW (time on the water).

I just bought a used rig with a Yamaha F115 and I have 2 questions:

How can I tell if what I already have on there is a just a fuel filter or a filter/separator? (I have an inline filter under the motor cowl and am assuming it's not a separator)

What is a good separator to buy and from where?

Borch- Where do you plan on installing this? On the hose before it enters into your motor? Also interested in doing this!

My water separtor has a sediment bowl attachted to the filter so it needs to be installed above deck. I had a perfect space for it on wall in the splashwell just in front of my transom. It sits just above where the fuelline connector for my hose/bulb come out of my splashwell. I'd say that most folks mount theirs on the transom somewhere if it will fit there in your boat.

It needs to be install somewhere between the tank and the engine where you have access. The filter looks like a larger oil filter and screews on in much the same manner.

I like the thread, I'm all about preventative maintenance that gives you more TOTW (time on the water).

I just bought a used rig with a Yamaha F115 and I have 2 questions:

How can I tell if what I already have on there is a just a fuel filter or a filter/separator? (I have an inline filter under the motor cowl and am assuming it's not a separator)

What is a good separator to buy and from where?

Yamaha makes and inline model as does mercury. stop in at your local dealer and they'll likely have them. I picked up a Racor on a popular online auction site. Filter run from 2-30 microns with 10 micron being the most popular filter spec. There are several other companies thst make them as well.

I have also seen after-market filters installed in the bilge, depending on the style of boat and the transom area and splashwell.

My water separator looks very similar to an oil filter. Quite a bit larger than what I typically think of when I think of an in-line fuel filter.

PJ, do you by chance have a Merc? We have 150efi, and it is the same type filter you mention, right on the front of engine under cowl. For any who have merc efis (2 stroke anyway) here is the info right from mercury:

"Water Separating Filter

The water separating filter protects the fuel injectors

from water and debris. The filter contains a sensor

probe which monitors water level in the filter. If water

is above the sensor probe, the water detection light will

come on and the warning horn will begin a series

of 4 beeps. If the outboard continues to run, the light

will stay on and the horn will beep every 2 minutes."

That might help some folks. We had it happen once. We ended up emtpying the filter (not in lake, of course) and thne just running it more, then emptied again, did it a few times until no more water, then put a new filter on.

Our fuel filler is in the splashwell of our boat, great design there, ha! So if we don't have the cap on TIGHT water can get in through it.

On my 115 Opti I was getting an alarm 4 beeps every two minutes, and the engine didn't even have to be running just the key turned on. Took me awhile to figure it out as the boat was all of 3 days new to me. Slick little deal, pop the tube off on one side open a valve drain it in to a can, use the motor next outing and check it again.

RU

When I baught my boat the dealer I went through puts these in all boats they sell as standard equipment. Talking with them I was toled that sence they have started doing this service calls have went down over 60%. I get the filter changed every fall when it is winterised and have never had an problem.