Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MARINERMAGNUM

Buy the lens....

7 posts in this topic

I was just peruzing evilbay,trying to find a deal on a 180mm Canon macro. While I was going thru the pages I was hit with the stark reminder of the value of good glass versus camera bodies.

I remember back in 1999 lusting after the new Canon D30 digital SLR body,but the price was $3000!

The Canon 300mm 2.8L IS also came out about that time for about the same price-maybe a touch more.

Now,a minty,clean 300 2.8IS from '99 will still bring $2500 or maybe more.

The D30 I saw on ebayy tonight? $145.00 or offer. sick

Always,always spend the money on a good lens. It will pay you back in more ways than one.

Seeing that camera also made me feel old. mad

Yeah, still shooting my creaking old 30D bodies (new three years ago) with three pieces of f2.8 glass (17-50, 100 macro, 200, 1.4 TCII). Seems good enough for 12-20 wedding clients per year, magazines, ad agencies, portrait clients, etc.

Simply put, unless you're shooting the very demanding indoor sports type stuff, there's little reason to go beyond the entry level or next level up sensor. That's the Rebel and xxD series for Canon. Any modern entry level DSLR sensor (and I mean within the last 3-4 years) is capable of stunning image quality limited only by the quality (sharpness, contrast, color saturation) of the glass and the vision of the photographer.

Good sentiments, MM, and a good reminder!

The winter indoor sports is a big deal around here and accounts for a fair number of sales. If it weren't for the ISO range of the 50,I'd still be shooting the 30d's-they are a great body.

It seems the Canon rumor mill is neverending,and the flakes over at dee pee only add to the confusion. crazy

The newest rumor is the shift toward an aps-h sensor in the 60D around 12 mp. The 50 is a good rig and I'm not planning on upgrading unless the 60D does indeed have dual card slots-as rumored. Nikon's new D300s has them,so I may be in trouble. shocked

I've actually shot quite a bit of indoor sports with 20D and 30D bodies with excellent results, as long as the lenses are f2.8 or wider, which allows the xxD bodies to shine brighter on autofocus. No, it ain't 1 series shooting, and you don't get as many keepers, but darn if it ain't good enough, at least for someone who only makes a peripheral business of indoor sports. If it was my bread and butter, I'd have a 1 series body.

Unless that Powerball comes along (or if the economy turns around), I'll still probably just keep upgrading two generations behind on the xxD series. So when the 60D comes out and one of my 30D bodies dies, I'll get a 40D, etc.

Quote:
If it was my bread and butter, I'd have a 1 series body.

I hear ya. I don't know what Canon's problem is. All I want is a 1 series with dual D!GIC 4's,10fps,the good LCD,and ISO 6400-for $1500-$2000.

They're obviously not getting my e-mail. frowngrin

I do still have my 40. Most of the time I have a 28-105 sitting on it and it is the body I throw in the pack on fishing trips, etc. Always have liked that camera and consider it my backup's "backup".

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

•   My Father-in-law (a master plumber) always used to say you only need to know 3 things to be a plumber:          sh*t doesn't run uphill         payday is on Friday         the boss is an ahole      
    • I've been getting them at Costco,  I've checked slyvee and sams but never see them.  Although one of the butcher's at slyvee says he can get them which might not be a bad idea since you can have some fat cut off before you pay per #. I picked one up a couple of weeks ago and it was about 2.80 a #, which isn't too bad yet considering bacon in the store can run quite a bit more than that.  You making bacon or doing pork belly burnt ends moon lake?
    • Excellent summer fishing.  Charters catching strong numbers.  Jig/minnow or jig/leech and bouncers with spinners with crawlers or minnows still producing walleyes. When the wind is right for pulling spinners, they have been lights out.  Walleyes being caught in varying depths, 7-31' of water.  Some shallow shorelines still producing. Pike mixed in all over the lake.    Walleyes in the Rainy River with a better morning/evening bite.  Trolling cranks or pulling spinners a good idea to cover more water. Smallmouth bass are out and about along shorelines and feeder streams. Sturgeon fishing opens again Saturday, July 1st.     Up at the NW Angle, water temps are in the low to mid 60’s. Wind blown shorelines are giving up walleyes via leeches or crankbaits along the weed line. Crawlers on a  gold and/or orange spinner are producing fish out of the mud between 22 - 26 feet. On the Canadian side, bottom bouncers and spinners have been filling the livewells outside of monument bay between 24-28 feet.  Jigging near Skeet and Kennedy Islands have produced nice sized walleye and numerous perch. Great smallmouth action in Tranquil channel and the mouth of Johnston passage. Muskie fishing picking up with high 40” class fish being caught with a few 50's from shallow bottom bays or adjacent to them.
    • Busy time of year out there so if u get canceled it is hard to rebook especially with the smaller operations. Bummer though as it can be a lot of fun if they are biting. 
    • I understand that you never really know when the Warriors are going to fall off or if they even will.  Hopefully the Wolves can make the playoffs and gain some experience, maybe teach the rest of the team how to play defense, so that in a few years we are knocking on the door and can lure in a top free agent to put us over the edge.  Its just an awful tough time to be a good team right now with the Warriors so clearly heads and shoulders above everyone else.
    • I couldn't have said it better myself pikestabber!  We have to go out there and do what we can now and not try to set up for "when the warriors are old" cuz the way the NBA is going who knows what players may join forces to set up the next "Warriors" squad.  Heck maybe the Wolves will be that next team !!  I just really love the addition of Butler and from the sounds of it we are not done yet and I am excited to see what will happen in free agency and if we could really land the likes of Kyle Lowry one of the other PG's that are hitting the FA market.  Nice to see the Wolves making moves!!
    • I would ask Getanet where to get some good ones!   Pork Belly Stinks Started by Getanet, May 1
    • So that means you ALMOST caught a fish!!   Real bummer!
  • Our Sponsors