• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big Buck Rod + Reel

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan, sounds like you are on a serious musky buying binge ... been there. By the time its too late, you will realize you spent a rediculous amount of money on more baits than you can use in years of solid fishing winkgrin

I think most of the cranks you listed will run a little deeper. Might want to add cranks that will run very shallow - I've been using the new Llungen Krisco's (have a white & orange soft tail show lure that is awesome) runs very shallow, and makes a lot of noise. I also run shallow invaders, shallow raiders, etc.

I have never hit Vermillion - but my recent confidence color is baits with a lot of white or all white & some flash. Otherwise I have a variety of colors: perch, walleye, cisco, sucker, crappie, and some high contrast unnatural colors (firetiger, black/org,black/chartruse, bumble bee, jailbird, etc), black, black/silver, etc.

Not a bad idea buying baits from local baitshops. Good to give them the business, and they will likely have the latest info on what patterns/color/lures are currently working.

Personally, unless I am dedicating a rod for trolling, I won't put the extra long leaders on any rod. Too much of a pain switching out when I go back to using it for casting.

..... it is already too late.....

Musky lure buying is the most ridiculous compulsive thing any one of us has ever done. It is retared, no offense to anyone. I caught 2 muskies in one day on 4 initial lures a guy at cabelas told me to get. A grandma, topraider, bucktail and I forgot the other one. I have not caught a single musky since then, yet I have spent over $1000 on all shapes and sizes of lures, and I have yet to catch another musky!!! Now I have a dozen topwater lures, 5 gliders, 30 bucktails and spinners, half dozen bulldawgs, pile of crankbaits, and like right now, I am trying to fill in holes I think I have in the arsenal. It is borderline schitzophrenic! It is expensive, but it is fun. I enjoy throwing the lures, I enjoy the hunt. It dents the pocket book, but I still have the means to make it happen, and I do. I cannot wait to sit around on Vermilion and throw a bunch of lures and see what happens. I enjoy talking to all you guys and learn and share information. I enjoy reading and watching videos.

I have never been to a sheild type lake before, with lots of visible rocks, so that will be fun to explore.

Back to the chat. I have one dedicated stiff rod for the trolls, so that will get the longer leader. The other we will just flip on a large crank throw it out, rest with a brew and see if anything wants to jump on board. I have a lot of medium sized crank baits but not the larger ones. I am goign to get a bright one in a 10 inch size and that should do it for good. I should never need another lure again! Sha

It's all part of the musky hunting experience ... unfortunately the wife will never understand. Buying cool/mocho stuff, researching, strategizing, the excitement of waiting to get out next, the thrill of the hunt, sore armes from a long day of fishing ... catching a muskie - priceless smile. It's no wonder the interest has been growing so fast.

While on Vermillion, don't forget to enjoy the scenary up in northern Minneota. It is increadibly beautiful up there. At night, make sure you look up - you can't imagine the stars if you've never been up there - can even see the satallites travelling overhead.

Good luck - looking forward to your fishing report when you get back. Good idea to get a guide - that is a huge body of water.

Oh that part will not be overlooked. I love the outdoors, big fan of the stars, loons, sitting by the fire telling the days tales. My Dad mentioned over the weekend that we went Minnesota on vacation when we were younger. I could not recall that trip, so I am treating this as my first trip. Plenty of time spent in northern Wisconsin.

I settled on the big game twitcher in that firescale pattern. Also bought the suick. I will pick up a 10" trolling bait once I get up there and talk to some folks. I think a pike or 2 could hit that big twitcher. If they will hit a warlock and hellhound sized glider, and a red and yellow small bassy thunderstick, I think they could hit this. I would be fine with a couple big pike. I love having teeth marks on my lures.

That is it before we leave. Wanted to get the stuff shipped in time. The rest we will solve up there.

Ryan, we were on V a week and a half ago. Got a tip from Tony Grant at the access, they'd just held their musky road rules a couple days previous. He said they were contacting more fish on the islands (shorelines) than on the rocks (reefs). We weren't 5 minutes in and the kid caught a nice tiger, on the lee side no less. Then the weather turned bad and we caught one other on a shoreline but only saw one fish out on the rocks, which is probably why we didn't see hardly anyone fishing out there. Don't know/haven't heard if that pattern is still holding up. Your guide should know what's happening. Good luck and enjoy!

honestly ryan, I understand that you're looking to gather as much informatin as possible before your trip, but I expect your day out with your guide should give you enough knowledge to last you your entire week on the lake. I've taken one guided trip in my life and it gave me enough knowledge to fish for two seasons and put fish in the boat. I've only fished that same body of water 2 other times, but the knowledge I gathered from Tim will honestly last me a lifetime on any body of water that I fish.

Just go up there and follow your instincts. I'm sure nobody minds sending you an e-mail here and there about their time on Vermillion, I'm just trying to say that sometimes it's better to go into these situations with the attitude that you will catch fish based on your own intuition. The thrill of the hunt is what excites me, and once you've dialed in that pattern on your own there is nothing more satisfying then going to those spots and catching fish day after day after day. I suppose just the catching part is satisfying to some guys, but I like to think that putting in the work initially makes the experience that much sweeter. that's just my 2 cents though.