• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big Buck Rod + Reel

Just wondering what you guys are using for the bigger bucktails (cowgirls). My buddy just bought a St. Croix 8'6" Heavy split grip Sling blade and a Calcutta 400te. $$$$$ I was using it and it still was not that less stressful than my Curado on a heavy bass rod I use. I have heard of the torium and trinidad and just looked a an Abu 7000. It still to me feels like you are pulling in an anchor with those cowgirl type baits. As hard as I work with that setup, it still feels like I cannot get the bait burning fast enough. I have to resort to a smaller single blade in order to get it burning at a high speed. What reel will make it the easiest to reel these type baits at a burning speed?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, have you tried searching? This topic of big blade reels has been beaten to death all over the internet.

Nothing will make it "easy". If you take the pull away from the reeling hand, it transfers to pull on the holding hand. Part of it is getting in shape and part of it is getting a reel that you don't have to wind at a million miles per hour to go quickly.

I am sure it has been beaten to death. After researching on the internet and researching it seemed like the Calcutta was the best fit. I was a little disappointed as it still seemed like I was working too hard. I am not looking for something easy, nothing about musky fishing is easy. I am in very good shape and put forth a good effort every time I hit the water. I must take your last sentence to mean that the Calcutta is still a reel that turns too quickly. The Abu 7000 has a lower gear ratio, I think 4:1:1. Maybe that is a better suitor for the pull of the bigger bucktails. I think a power handle couldn't hurt either.

This is a subject very close to JRedig's heart so I will let him handle most of it. But I will say that I don't reccomend any Abu reels for big blades, save for the new Toro.

Many of the guys on here will point you in the direction of a saltwater reel if you really want to get serious about pulling the larger blades. Look at a Saltist with Levelwind, or a Trinidad maybe. I have no experience with either reel, but a lot of people reccomend them.

Saltist 30 with a levelwind seems to be the best deal and most functional reel for fishing other lures as well. A 400TE would not fall into the category of a good big blade reel. The best are the trinidad's from shimano, but at $700 for their high end one, probably not the best choice for everyone, hence the saltist's being a great in between.

HA modeles are the level wind. You will want to look at these in person to make sure the size of the reel will work for you. The 30 size compares to an Abu 7000 series.

the 30 size is probably the most popular for people using the Saltist for big bucktails..Note that the 30HA level wind retieves 35" per crank, vs the 30TH (no level wind) which cranks 47" per. So the 30TH will allow you to burn much faster, but will be less versitile since no levelwind.

Casting distance will probably be more dependent on your expertise with a baitcasting reels and the use of longer rods.

How long does it take to get used to not having a levelwind? It would be with a 7' 6" or 8 foot medium heavy rod. Probably heavy, so I can double it as a dawg rod. I have been reading more about swinging bucktails in an S pattern on the retrieve, and I think if done right, this would spool the line back on properly. Thanks

Just my 2 cents...I picked up my first double cowgirl the other week. I used my old Fenwick 6' 6'' Heavy duty Muskie rod and my old Abu 5600. I didnt have any trouble at all reeling that lure in. In fact, in many cases if I tried reeling in faster - the lure would come in too shallow - almost turning into a topwater. The only thing I found difficult was casting the big thing for very long and for very far. I would suppose a 8 foot rod would be better suited for flinging those things out there...but reeling them in wasnt an issue at all...

Saltist 30 LW is a great reel. If im not paying attention, I have no problem pulling doulbe tens out of the water when burning. Threw for 14 hours one day a month ago with this reel and could still move my arm at the end of the day so thats a good sign if anything else.

Looks like a great reel...but for 180.00 I will need to hold off until the old 6500 dies on me!! ( I think earlier I misquoted and said 5600 - but its a 6500..).

Heck, even the 25.00 for my first double cowgirl was a sticker shock!

Ryan, If you really want to move them fast, the non-levelwind saltist 30 is a good reel. As stated, it's not as versitile as a LW, but for big bucktails and crankbaits I like it alot. It takes a little getting used to, but it's not rocket science.

I do add or build my bucktails with much more weight, 1oz. plus - and would recommend using a harder line like power pro.

If you're just beginning your equipment odyssey though I like Abu C3s, tough and dependable IMO, wouldn't bother with any other models though. Good one to start with and see if you really want to get the saltist to speed up.

If were to get an Abu it would be one of the 7000 series. It seems like there are 3-4 diff 7000 models though! I think it comes down to the Saltist. I have a couple of Shimano's already, and they have performed flawlessly. I just think that the Curado 300dsv i have vs. the Calcutta, does not justify the extra $200. It seems like the Saltist or the Torium with the power crank is the best option. I would primarily use this for the big bucks. I honestly don't work enough cranks, and if I do it would be for trolling, which again I don't do much of. I like working gliders, bucks, topwater, and a few bulldwags and rubber duckys.

If you can find one of the older Abu 7000 that were made in Sweden those work well for big bucktails. The new 7000's only last a few days. Shimano Trinidad or Calcutta 400TE would be my first choices followed by older Abu 7000's. The old red ones. Older 7000C, silver one, were ok too.

Even if the saltists broke down, i'd wager it's because people are going out and throwing them like any other reel which leads to backlashes and abuse on the gear. You have to change the way you fish/throw a little bit to use one, otherwise it's a headache.

Maybe that's a poor assumption on my part, but from what i've seen watching other's learn to use them, wouldn't surprise me. Mine's still going strong even with a lot of abuse, i've broken every reel i've ever had that has been put through what my saltist is taking and still working.

When I go out with the guide fishing next week, I want to see what he uses and test with his gear. That will help me make a decision. I just know that those big bucks can be brought in faster that I can currently bring them in and and Calcutta was no better. 25 in per crank with the Calcutta, 47 per crank with the Saltist. Calcutta weights half as much though at 12 ounce and change vs. 24 ounces for the saltist. Calcutta is twice as expensive too, and I was very surpirised when I opened my buddy's Calcutta that the gearing on the inside was plastic. I thought it would be some sort of strong light metal. I know that you can replace those parts, but still!

I just bought an Abu 7000 iC3 and have used it only twice so far. I put it on an 8' heavy GM rod and really like it so far for pulling big blades. Got a couple fish on it and the drag was nice and smooth as well. If I could have, I would have gotten a little better rod, but I needed one that day and that was the best the store had in stock. I'll let you know how the reel holds up since it's very new. I can move those baits as fast as I want without too much trouble. Much better than my other reels.