Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishinJohn

Mercury Moving South

36 posts in this topic

Looks like Mercury marine may be headed to Oklahoma for cheaper labor and greater flexibility with a non-union workforce. There may be some housing deals in Fond du Lac soon unless they vote Yes on Sunday. My employer has made similar cuts and I think most have. I am at least glad to hear they will stay in the US. Good luck to anyone affected.

The union voted it down:

"Fond du Lac — In a move that could cost them their jobs, Mercury Marine Inc. employees Sunday by a large margin rejected contract concessions that would have included lower wages for new hires and employees called back from layoff.

As many as 850 manufacturing jobs could be eliminated in Fond du Lac if the company shuts down its operations here over the next three years, according to the company. It would leave from "zero to 200" jobs at the plant, executives said."

Why the union would risk losing all of their employees in the middle of a major recesion over new hires and people already laid off is beyond me. They will probably lose the headquarters as well because of it, which is another 1000 jobs.

Sad.

Maybe they have extreme loyalty to their former friends? Unions can work, or they can wreck. Time will tell I guess.

I've never been much of a union guy. I always felt they held a good person down to a lower standard of mediocrity. However, I hate when companies take advantage of their workers too.

I this case I think the move south is proposed in an effort to stay alive. Lots of companies going under in this (lack of) economy.

Always a balancing act between profits (which keep a company in business) and employee stability.

There was an article in the strib about this over the weekend. Man, the union got beat up in the comments after the article!

[quote

Why the union would risk losing all of their employees in the middle of a major recesion over new hires and people already laid off is beyond me. They will probably lose the headquarters as well because of it, which is another 1000 jobs.

Sad.

Some more info:

"The company had said workers would see no pay cuts under its proposal, but the union said workers were asked to give up 2 percent pay raises in each of the last two years of the contract."

If I find more info I will post it.

sounds like there making a few cuts. Need to sell a few more motors to get them back at the plant and moving strong again!

most companies aren't offering raises, incentives, or bonuses now, so I can completely understand why they would need to make concessions, I guess the definitive answer on that is they won't have to worry about their 2% increase now

Loose your job or take a paycut, i think ill take the paycut to keep food on the table

All of the office people/Corp people already took a 10% paycut. Now those jobs are in jeopardy as well.

I worked my last four years before retiring with no pay raise to help my company's bottom line, so I know what it is like. I didn't starve during these years and I did it to help the company stay on it's feet. Sometimes these things are what a person needs to do to keep a job. The CEO of the company was compensated nearly 300 million during the same time period which I thought wasn't a very good example. I have to admit that I am enjoying my retirement so there really is light at the end of the tunnel. It is just a long, long tunnel.

I own three Mercs, so I guess I have done what I can. wink

They do have a Mercruiser plant in Stillwater, OK; maybe they will be combining operations to increase efficiency due to decreased sales.

The Union is a cancer that is only self-serving and in the global economy will eventually bring any business to destruction. The only way Unions exist is in states where they can force all the workers to join them. These people are a bunch of whiney babies that need a reality check. Sad thing is, by the time they get it all the work will be in OK or China. I guess all the lazy union workers will just live off unemployment then.

The CEO of the company was compensated nearly 300 million during the same time period which I thought wasn't a very good example.

Can you tell us where you worked? Just curious as to who is CEO and which individuals make up the board if it is a public company.

Update:

"Mercury Marine union considers do-over vote

By Rick Barrett of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Aug. 27, 2009 7:10 a.m.

Some union employees at Mercury Marine Inc. are asking about having a second vote on a labor contract they rejected Sunday.

Dan Longsine, chief negotiator for the 850 plant employees at the Fond du Lac company, said he was inquiring about whether union rules would allow another vote on the same contract that was just rejected.

The national rules of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers may require several changes in the proposed labor contract before another vote can be taken.

That's not necessarily the case, said union spokesman Michael King, but it's unlikely that the union would call for another vote on the identical contract that workers turned down by a wide margin.

Regardless, Mercury Marine's contract proposal expires Saturday at midnight. The company has said it doesn't plan to change the terms of the deal, which included 30% wage reductions for new hires and employees called back to work from layoff.

As the result of Sunday's union vote, the outboard-engine manufacturer says it is in the process of moving work to its plant in Stillwater, Okla., a non-union facility."

I'm retired and can't say whom is on the board and after more than 36 years with the company I no longer care. The company is Qwest Communications and the CEO was Joe Naccio and he is now serving six years in a federal slammer. It seems he was caught doing a little insider trading. The new CEO's wife and daughters are allowed to use a corporate jet to fly between California and Denver whenever they want to. After Enron and a few other companies having problems I think there are a lot of things going on that shouldn't be.

The Union is a cancer that is only self-serving and in the global economy will eventually bring any business to destruction. The only way Unions exist is in states where they can force all the workers to join them. These people are a bunch of whiney babies that need a reality check. Sad thing is, by the time they get it all the work will be in OK or China. I guess all the lazy union workers will just live off unemployment then.
You wouldn't happen to know how many Walmart stores in China are unionized would you???? It seems that the cancer is spreading. wink

Unions are still an important part of the economy. Do they have problems, are are they in desperate need to update themselves? Absolutely!

But unions are/have been responsible for a lot of the benefits that we have as workers in any industry. In many ways it is the union that is saving the global economy for completely eating itself.

in many ways it is the unions that are the cause of the US economy problems.

Tit for tat.

Many of the benefits that we have in the workplace today were obtained by unions. I don't know of a company that would have given these benefits out of the goodness of their heart. I agree that in some instances some unions pushed things too hard when they negotiated with the employers. I also know that no union members want the company that they are working for to close the doors and they are willing to make some changes to keep the company solvent. This is the reason that I worked my last four years according to the old contract rather than negotiate a new one. When the company got back on it's feet a new contract was negotiated. Gee, I'm glad to be retired and I have many concerns about the welfare of young people in the workplace today. I don't know of anyone that can survive on $1.62 per hour like they pay at the new Merc plant in China and I wonder why the price of these outboards hasn't come down.

It is impossible to say where we would be without unions. Union negotiating in the past is history. The american worker owes unions nothing. Unions made their money already.

You (cold one sd) state: "I also know that no union members want the company that they are working for to close the doors and they are willing to make some changes to keep the company solvent."

That is not a true statement. There are many people not willing to budge... They deserve it... United they stand! They are the ones that deserve to have the company moved to Oklahoma! I say good for Merc!

There are reasons some motors are made in China. Do you know how many of these are shipped to the states? If it were so profitable for merc to pay $1.62/hr in China, don't you think they would close down all plants in the states? They wouldn't be talking about relocating production to Oklahoma...

It is impossible to say where we would be without unions. Union negotiating in the past is history. The american worker owes unions nothing. Unions made their money already.

You (cold one sd) state: "I also know that no union members want the company that they are working for to close the doors and they are willing to make some changes to keep the company solvent."

That is not a true statement. There are many people not willing to budge... They deserve it... United they stand! They are the ones that deserve to have the company moved to Oklahoma! I say good for Merc!

There are reasons some motors are made in China. Do you know how many of these are shipped to the states? If it were so profitable for merc to pay $1.62/hr in China, don't you think they would close down all plants in the states? They wouldn't be talking about relocating production to Oklahoma...

I guess I have no idea what will happen in the future. You may get another chance to say good for Merc and watch everything move overseas. I guess time will tell.

This probably isn't the right thread to properly discuss the value (or lack thereof) that unions provide.

But maybe Merc should move to Japan instead of OK. They may learn how to make better motors... smilesmile

This probably isn't the right thread to properly discuss the value (or lack thereof) that unions provide.

But maybe Merc should move to Japan instead of OK. They may learn how to make better motors... smilesmile

This probably isn't the proper thread to discuss outsourcing either. lol grinwink