• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1998 dodge ram computer??

In my discussions with him He has said that he laid the alternator over. He has also said that he disconnected the battery. Was told the computer should be in today. I got a feeling it is not the computer so time will tell

Do you recall if the time on the radio or the radio stations needed to be programed back in?

If not, the battery was never disconnected & when hooking the alternator power wire back up, COULD HAVE shorted the Computer.

This won't work all the time. Our shop writes down the stations in memory, and resets them when we are done with any repair needing the battery disconnected.

Not the case with all shops though.

Well very frustrating day. The Mechanic came to my house today with the pick-up and stated it was fixed. He He put the used computer in the truck and said he also moved a ground wire that was on the engine and moved it to the computer. He said that is where it belongs and someone must have moved it along the way.

I gave the Mechanic a ride back to his shop. On the way noticed the seat belt light was on and told him it was not on before. Got to his shop and turned truck off and restarted it, Light went off. On the way home it came on again. At home I turned truck off. After 2 minute wait I restarted it. This time there were 4 lights that came on. ABS, brake, airbag, and seatbelt. Sometimes they would come on and stay on. Other times just seat belt lite would come on.

Now I was mad! I called a Dodge dealer and brought it to them and told them the whole story and asked them to try and figure out the problems and what caused them. I also called Mechanic that worked on the truck and told him about the problems with the dash lites and told him I am bringing it to a dodge dealer. I asked if he had disconnected battery. He said yes. I said because the clock was still set. He said he reset the clock. I told him the radio stations were still programmed and he said they will hold there memory for a while even when the battery is disconnected. Anyone know if this is true???

He called back 5 minutes later and asked that i bring him the computer back that he had put in the truck stating he did not want to get stuck not being paid for it. Told him I do not intend on sticking him with the bill but that I want to find out what is going on,

Not sure if I am handeling this the best way or not?? I have not paid the bill yet. $600 bill that should have been $350. Bottom line is that it still aint right, a ground wire got moved that maybe should not have and I dont know what is going on.

Truck is at the dealer. Asked them to check old computer and the new one and gave them the whole story. Grrrrrrrrrrr mad

Nice touch

Originally Posted By: MaskedMallard
Do you recall if the time on the radio or the radio stations needed to be programed back in?

If not, the battery was never disconnected & when hooking the alternator power wire back up, COULD HAVE shorted the Computer.

This won't work all the time. Our shop writes down the stations in memory, and resets them when we are done with any repair needing the battery disconnected.

Not the case with all shops though.

Nice touch

What's that suppose to mean?? confused Do you not believe in common courtesy?

That is what we were taught in school for "customer courtesy", and that is what it is. The radio , and station memory was set when it entered the shop, and that is the way it should leave!!

Airjer, if this is true then the guy did not disconnect the battery and most likely caused electrical damage to the truck. The truck is at the dealer right now or i would test it for myself. I asked him about the radio stations and he commited himself that he did not reset them

I worked for a chrysler jeep dealer for 8 years. I can probably tell you that maybe 50% of the guys disconnect the batteries. Myself, I rarely did even when working on the airbag system as long as you know what the hell your doing it won't cause a problem. I haredly doubt that the Pcm was bad, now it sounds like a BUS wire problem or the pcm that was replaced isn't communicating with the rest of the computers.

I rarely disconnect the battery for repairs myself.

The other thing, as long as we are talking about memories, is a lot of shops, including ours, has a device called a battery saver. Its a backup battery that plugs into the vehicles OBD port. It supplies enough power to keep all the memories alive in the vehicle while you replace the battery or have the battery disconnected.

I rarely disconnect the battery for repairs myself.

The other thing, as long as we are talking about memories, is a lot of shops, including ours, has a device called a battery saver. Its a backup battery that plugs into the vehicles OBD port. It supplies enough power to keep all the memories alive in the vehicle while you replace the battery or have the battery disconnected.

I used to have a little one like this but it plugged into the cig lighter housing. I stopped using it after reading a tech-tip of possible air bag deployment if these such power sources were used while working with under dash repairs. I don't know what the capabilities are with the one you use, but will be looking into something like that if it eliminates the possibilty of problems like air bag deployment.

He called back 5 minutes later and asked that i bring him the computer back that he had put in the truck stating he did not want to get stuck not being paid for it. Told him I do not intend on sticking him with the bill but that I want to find out what is going on,

Not sure if I am handeling this the best way or not?? I have not paid the bill yet. $600 bill that should have been $350. Bottom line is that it still aint right, a ground wire got moved that maybe should not have and I dont know what is going on.

Truck is at the dealer. Asked them to check old computer and the new one and gave them the whole story. Grrrrrrrrrrr mad

Giving the guy a chance to make it right is one thing, but I put up with only so much "tinkering" before it's time to "git er done" right.

My thoughts are that the guy shouldn't be stiffed for what he did fix but, as a customer, I'd be of the position that we have some very serious negotiations forthcoming on the electrical stuff once the truck is properly fixed.

So in the least from what I am hearing the guy lied to me about disconnecting the battery. When he said the truck was done i asked if i could come pay the bill the neext day and he said ok. I would prefer to wait till the dodge dealer looks at situation before I pay his bill. The discuss the findings with the mechanic and pay him. Does this sound like the way to go? Will be a couple daysfor Dodge dealer to check things out

I could be wrong, but most factory (dealer) scan tools hold info in memory and can be uploaded back into vehicle after a repair where the battery is disconnected? Not a 100% about this, but I thought I heard this can happen with either Chrysler or Fords now. Might be 06-07 on up and not for a 98.

As far disconnecting the battery, I rarely ever do my self. Funny thing about it, if I do it is most likely on a repair like and alternator or anything where the gas lines are removed. grin

For one, I hate when the positive wire scares the heck (or wrench) hits ground on me. For two, I have started things on fire with spark and fuel before grin

Never been a big PCM shorted out kind of guy.

Just got a call from the dealer. They said they checked new computer and the VIN in the computer does not match the one for the truck and that is why some of the dash lights are comming on. They also checked the old computer and said that it is bad but do not know what caused it to go bad. They said the only way to fix it properly would be to get a brand new computer for $800. So I either live with the differnt dash lights on or spend $800 more ontop of the $600 I owe the 1st Mechanic. Any suggestions????????

I would go to the first guy and talk politely to him and explain to him the situation you are in, maybe he will pay it, maybe he will pay half, or none at all, but I would talk to him before jumping to any conclusions.

Just got a call from the dealer. They said they checked new computer and the VIN in the computer does not match the one for the truck and that is why some of the dash lights are comming on. They also checked the old computer and said that it is bad but do not know what caused it to go bad. They said the only way to fix it properly would be to get a brand new computer for $800. So I either live with the differnt dash lights on or spend $800 more ontop of the $600 I owe the 1st Mechanic. Any suggestions????????

I have replaced PCM's in dodge vehicles before, and the vin has to be manually put in with a scanner. An aftermarket scanner can do the job. I don't know if it will work on a used one that already has a vin programmed into it or not. It is worth looking into before you go and spend that kind of money. The other option is to ask the first shop owner to meet you half way with the cost of the new PCM, weather you purchase it from one of your local parts store, or from the dealer. Even if you purchase aftermarket, you will still have to program the vin into it.

Good luck.

The dealership is right once the VIN is burned in to the PCM it can't be changed, but you can use used TCM's. So the only way around this would be to get a new one.

I wasn't sure if you could override the vin, and put in a new one on a used PCM. I have had to program the vin in a PCM purchased at a local parts store in order for it to work properly.

I would at least look into an aftermarket PCM. The parts store we purchase our PCM's from told us that we are purchasing the pcm with the latest updates in them, so the PCM wouldn't have to have an updated installed right off the bat.

The dealership is right once the VIN is burned in to the PCM it can't be changed, but you can use used TCM's. So the only way around this would be to get a new one.

I don't doubt you this is true at a dealership level, but I bet somebody has a tool that will do that.

I have access to engineering tools that do many things that a dealer service tool won't do (sorry, not Chrysler/Dodge stuff...at least not yet). It's just a matter, usually, of what the service tool security level is keyed for....at least for our stuff, anyway.