Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Trollin226

Another theft....

18 posts in this topic

2 days ago my girlfriend walked into REI in Bloomington for about 15min while she was inside. Some %$##% decided to steel her roof top kayak carrier and ferring. It was locked in place but like so many locks they just keep the honest people honest. To top it off when she called the Bloomington police department she was told it would be a waste of time to fill out a report because they were not going to do anything about it anyway...

you can still file a report about it even though, like they said, it probably won't help. It's a good idea to do it anyway though, in case it's found in a pawn shop somewhere and can maybe help police connect the dots on other robberies. Also you'd be able to get your stuff back withouth buying it back from the pawn shop if you had the right paperwork.

Is there a chance the store had parking lot cam's?

Chances are these guy's looked at one in the store, then stole her's after they saw how spendy they were, and how to remove them.

Quote:
they were not going to do anything about it anyway..

I find it hard to believe this is a direct quote by the police department. More like, there's not much they can do about it anyway. With no evidence to go on, what can they do?

Well at least the cop didn't lie. They aren't gonna do anything about it.

If they bust someone with a garage full of stolen property though... You might be glad that report was filed.

Also, if it is covered on some sort of homeowner's insurance, you will need a police report.

The statement that law enforcement "won't" do anything about it to me seems a bit over-the-top. Are we to believe that our law enforcement said that they refuse to do anything about it? Refuse to consider doing anything? Refuse to have any care at all? Were this to happen to me I'd be standing in line at the next council meeting to talk about possibly re-evaluating our police force.

I would be more inclined to believe that law enforcement said they "couldn't" do much about it.

I agree though, that in either case, file the report. You just never know.

There's a big difference.

At least they were being honest. When my snowmobile was stolen by some kid in town who went around bragging about it they said they would do all they could. Nothing ever happend....

My question to the cop would have been; Are you refusing to repsond to a citizen"s call and are refusing to take a report? If so, what is your name, badge number and is this being recorded? I would have been sittin on the mayor's desk the next day. Sounds to me like you were interupting a do-nut break. I don't care if it was a case of a missing Ju-Ju-Bee from the box. What's next? "oh, you've been raped? "Well, that happens so often and we'll probably never catch the perp anyway"

The statement that law enforcement "won't" do anything about it to me seems a bit over-the-top. Are we to believe that our law enforcement said that they refuse to do anything about it? Refuse to consider doing anything? Refuse to have any care at all? Were this to happen to me I'd be standing in line at the next council meeting to talk about possibly re-evaluating our police force.

I got the same response when a buddy's car was broken into and he was out of town. I made the call the local PD and they pretty much said tough luck, not much we can do.

Now I don't expect them to go CSI on the bit, but would it really be that difficult to send someone by on a Sunday morning to at least jot down some details so it's on record?

Having something stolen from you, no matter how small is usually gut wrenching, since it makes people feel vulnerable.

The fact of the matter is that catching petty thieves is not a revenue maker, especially in a state that has a minimum of $120 for a speeding ticket.

I do agree that you should push them as hard as you can and give them the best information available, to help them, but don't expect anything.

I would do my own diligent searching, when one of my fathers' stores got broken into, the police found the items in a pawn shop 50 miles away, not sure how long the perps got.

I would pay close attention to craiglist, e bay, pawnshops, and any other selling medium. And when you get pulled over for a 160 seatbelt violation, tell them to go catch some 'real' bad guys.

The fact of the matter is that catching petty thieves is not a revenue maker

Catching burglars, rapists and murderers isn't a revenue maker either. I always get a kick of those folks that complain about how the cops are only out to catch speeders and no seatbelt wearers. Here's an idea for ya bud, buckle up and drive the speed limit and you ain't got nothin' to worry about.

In addition to not doing anything about a stolen kayak carrier and writing speeding tickets, the Bloomington police are investigating the death of an 8 month old.

Frankly, a stolen kayak just isn't high on the list. Can you imagine the man-hours necessary to track down a stolen car stereo or kayak or whatever else? Just so some punk kids can get 40 hours of CS and you aren't out a hundred bucks?

Do yourself a favor, get insurance and hope for the best.

yea i know that feeling of law enforcement not caring about calls. I called the sherrif's dispatch to report a fishing law violation and all they said was that they would forward it to the dnr enforcement division, by the way I called the tip line after this since they didn't seem to care that a law was being broken. I thought that if ANY law was being broke that any law enforcement agency where the violation took place should be the one to investigate the call. had one of the local sherrif's deputies come out to the scene they could have got these people for to many lines and unattended lines and probably no fishing license. on a side note the conservation officer called me back today and told me that he was going to step up his patrol of the area where this happened in hopes to catch these people. I hope he does catch them but who knows what will become of this. he also told me that he has been getting a lot of violations in this area.

I would go an call your mayor and let him know what you were told.

Nobody here can fix it fo you.

I called the sherrif's dispatch to report a fishing law violation and all they said was that they would forward it to the dnr enforcement division, by the way I called the tip line after this since they didn't seem to care that a law was being broken. .

There called priorities....sherrif deputies have enough on their plate dealing with,umm..things like domestic disputes, thefts, drunks, assaults and medical responses that something like a call for an unattened fishing line is so far down the totum pole that your lucky if anyone comes out,thats likely why it was sent to the DNR.

I would like to throw my two cents in on this discussion. This point of view is from a LE officer with about 14 years on the job.

I have a hard time believing an officer would say that he/she "would not do anything about it". I would assume he/she might have said something more like, "there isn't much we can do about it". If my assumption is wrong, I apologize.

It is always a good idea to make a report on such thefts even though its a very good chance there wont be much that can be done. However, sometimes a little hard work and luck come together and people are caught and it nice to have a paper trail to help connect the dots. It would be very helpful if victims would take the extra effort to have certain information available regarding the stolen items.....such as make, model and serial numbers. For example, I have taken dozens of reports of theft from motor vehicles where the victim can only tell me their car stereo was stolen and perhaps it was a Sony..etc. If we are lucky enough to come across a pile of such items in a suspect's possession, we still need to prove these items as stolen...and that is very difficult if not impossible without such info. I have often suggested to people the practice of making a spread sheet document that contains the serial numbers of the items they value. If the item does not have a serial number, think about possibly giving it a marking that would help us identify it. For example, I am an avid muskie fisherman and I have hundreds of lures. A few winters ago I took the time and put a specific identifying mark on all of them...my initials with a certain number.

I would like to address the comment that we dont work these types of cases because they dont generate revenue. I am sorry but that is one of the silliest things I have ever heard. I have never once in my career felt the need to write a ticket to help make money for the city or the state. It just does not work that way. I often tell people with this assumption that being a police officer is much like being a home builder. Writing tickets is like hammering nails. Part of building a home is to hammer nails. Well, its the same for being a police officer, we write tickets. Its not fun, its not boring, it is just something we do to be a complete officer. Hey, if you want to pay my salary/health benefits/retirement and only expect me to drive around and wave to the kids...cool. However, I think you would agree that your tax dollars are not being used correctly.

To be honest, I feel uncomfortable writing such expensive tickets but it is what it is. If you dont like the fine amounts you can do a couple of things about it. I would suggest that you get organized and protest to the individuals/organizations that set the fine amounts and guess what, its not you local police department. You could also do the easiest thing of following the law and then you dont even have to worry....but I guess it is always easier to place the blame for your conduct on someone else.

Cliffy

I was wondering when you'd chime in, cliffy. Thanks for adding a new perspective.

I had some streo equipment stolen from my car around 10 years ago, and had a detailed list of equipment to give the cops. Within 2 weeks I got a call from the department asking if I would come down and identify my equipment, and take back what was mine as they had found 3 kids with a lot of gear that obviously wasn't theirs. I didn't get it all back, but I did get the high dollar stuff. On top of that, they each had to pay restitution for around 2 years from their paychecks. The system can work for you if you take the time to do your part.

If the item does not have a serial number, think about possibly giving it a marking that would help us identify it. For example, I am an avid muskie fisherman and I have hundreds of lures. A few winters ago I took the time and put a specific identifying mark on all of them...my initials with a certain number.

I know they used to have a free program call Operation Identification (Operation ID) where you could go to the library and check out a dremal (sp?) type tool and mark all your property with a number you choose. Then you file that number with the local law enforcement and they have your number on file for easy identification. Also, if I'm not mistaken you can get a break on your homeowners insurance by using Operation ID.