• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Technical question

Cooter

Lately I've been taking a close look at a lot of bow rigs and have noticed that with many of them that if you nock an arrow more often than not the string, sights, and arrow do not all line up. I've seen it on bows that guys shoot very well. It makes sense to me that the above three would line up. So whats going on? Does the term 'center shot' come into play here? Are these guys just consistently 'pulling' shots due to form or grip? Mine is close but not perfect.

Shouldn't you be able to setup your rest so the arrow is in perfect line with the string and then adjust your sights so they are in line as well and then only have to adjust for heigth?

I'm a bit cornfused here, might have to peek through the Easton bow tuning guide.

i know what you're saying. on compound bows, everything should line up. thats why pro shops mount a laser to the bow and line it up and down the center of the arrow from tip to nock. then adjust the rest accordingly. the sights should line up on that same line so everything is square to the world, but release, anchor points, grip, a lot come into play. everything not lining up just has to do with the individual shooter.

thats why its so hard shooting your buddies bow. even if he can hit the bullseye over and over, and I send the arrows over the target...with the same bow.

"Lately I've been taking a close look at a lot of bow rigs and have noticed that with many of them that if you nock an arrow more often than not the string, sights, and arrow do not all line up. I've seen it on bows that guys shoot very well. It makes sense to me that the above three would line up. So whats going on."

In a perfect world ,yes! That is usually where one starts for settings, but after shooting some, then paper tuning, things may not line up.And as stated. Everys' one form is different, so the bow should be matched to them.

I went to the bow shop today to have them put on a string loop so i can start using a release.( I have shot fingers for over 30 yrs.)I set the rest on center line with the string. The sight was already there. Shot s few arrows to try to get use the the release.( OH BOY!! This will take a little time!) My groups were ok. I grabbed the form to paper test the bow. That was good. Adjusted the sight and was shooting 2 in. grops at 18 yds. It scared me! Normally it takes more adjusting to get those results! Some times thing just go right! smile

I think today to much faith is put on accessories. I learned to shoot instinct and still prefer to shoot this way ( finger release and no peep or sights) My last bow was a Mathews Black Max and I could shoot it better instinct than I could with the release, $200 sights and a hind site. I have the robin hoods to prove that. Any bow I have ever shot being left or right handed within 5-6 shots I can shoot groups under 4" at 25 yards.

Learn to shoot without all the garbage and you'll be alot better shot. I still shoot my old Browning Bushmaster, after 20+ years still breaking knocks.

yeah, but all of todays gizmos and gadgets make it easier for joe schmo to go bowhunting, a guy who otherwise wouldn't go. same as the modern muzzleloader, had it not been so accurate and dependable, even myself may not have gotten into it. may have tried it, but may not have liked it.

The first bows I ever shot were recurves. I remember mom brought one home from a garage sale a long time ago, and i started shooting it right away. wasn't nearly strong enough to pull it back as i was a kid, but I still stole arrows out of dads case and shot them at bales of hay with a burlap target with a buck picture on it. Eventually, I got into my teens, and tried that bow on deer. lots of missin. got a compound with sights for 50 bucks, and by no means was it a jewel. I just figured a compound with sights was an easier way to do something that was rather difficult in the first place. have thought about restringin that ol recurve one of the days and seeing how she feels 20 years later! except for today, i would have tabs, so my fingers wouldn't get so raw and blistered!

had it not been for ma bringin home that recurve, i probably wouldn't have developed the interest in archery so early.

I shot bare bow for a long time too, but started seeing that my concentration level was to inconsistant. One day i could shoot 4 in. groups out to 40 yds. The next i could barely hold a group at 20, so i went to a sight. The release is partly due to arthritis in my hand and middle two fingers ! That is why i'm shooting 54 lbs. compared to the 72 i shot YEARS ago! grin

Learn to shoot without all the garbage and you'll be alot better shot. I still shoot my old Browning Bushmaster, after 20+ years still breaking knocks.

Esox, on a philosophical level, I totally agree with you. However, in terms of pure shooting ability, you are absolutely, positively wrong. I don't mean to start a fight or argument here, but look at 300 round scores of very good shooters-- compare the best bare bow/finger shooters' scores with the scores of guys shooting with "all the garbage". It's not even close- the garbage will win virtually every time. I know you can come up with examples of times when a guy shooting a bare bow outshot a guy shooting with "all the garbage", but there's no doubt you were comparing apples to oranges in terms of ability of shooters. ...and... that's at 20 yards-- make those same comparisons at 40 or 60 yards and all the "garbage" will REALLY put a whoopin' on barebow/fingers/instinctive shooting.

I'm a decent shot, but no modern day Robin Hood. There's a gal at our club who was trying out for the olympics (she's very, very good). I outshot her every time and so did most of the guys at the club, because we were not shooting a comparable bow. All the "garbage" makes a huge difference, whether you like it or not. However, knowing it, getting used to it, and learning to tune and take care of it well is extremely important.

Now, just to let you know I'm anything but an anti-traditional guy, I talked my dad out of his 1972 Bear Superkodiak a while ago and have been shooting it at the club. It really feels good to get back to basics. I forgot how tough it is to shoot this way. At 10 yards I can outshoot my son with his little bow, but not by much! blush I've got a lot of practicing with this rig to be busting knocks like you are at 25. However, I used to do it, so I'm sure I can do it again. It's really been fun flinging arrows through it...

I asked the same question to my proshop owner after he just got done laser tuning my new bow. This is how it was explained to me. Supposedly every compound bow has "cam lean". When your bow is at rest the cams are perfectly in line with your bow, but when you're at full draw the cams visibly lean they actually look misaligned vertically! Stand behind someone at full draw its pretty obvious. The "cam lean" is necessary to keep the cables from "jumping" the the grooves during the extreme release of energy. When someone is at full draw, during the "cam lean" the string will look more in line with the arrow and sight. Laser tuning is much more complicated than many think because "cam lean" has to be accounted for during set up.

Not my theory, just an explination that was given to me by very respected technical archers and backed up by evidence.

I'm just saying learn the old school ways before investing in all the latest and greatest. Learn to shoot good without all the garbage helps with form and all things good. Having the latest and greatest is nice but learn the basics first. Shooting targets don't impress me much, in the field under extreme conditions every little bit you know may make the difference of putting meat on the table or eating tag soup.

I'm just saying learn the old school ways before investing in all the latest and greatest. Learn to shoot good without all the garbage helps with form and all things good. Having the latest and greatest is nice but learn the basics first. Shooting targets don't impress me much, in the field under extreme conditions every little bit you know may make the difference of putting meat on the table or eating tag soup.

I couldn't agree more! I think it's a very good idea for people to start by shooting fingers from a recurve. Plus, it's just fun...

I also agree with shooting the bare bow. In todays market though if a beginner goes into a store and purchases a bow. How many times have you seen them get the standard set up and taken to the range and told AIM at the bullseye. When what they really need is to focus on their form and release. Aiming will then atuomatically come.

If you look at a rig from the back and draw an imaginary line from the string down the site pins and it doesn't go right down the center of the arrow, more likely than not the owner has some serious consistent hand torque when they shoot.

yup, more than likely hand torque in my opinion.. or the boaw is getting some fletching contact issues. I myself have had bows that do not line up and just leave it if it shoots well and consistant.