Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JPowell

What is the HOT goose load this year?

25 posts in this topic

Just wanted to pick everyones brains on what the HOTTEST goose load is. I am going to check out Hevi Steel and give it a whirl this year. What are some other loads(shot size and brands)that others will be throwing at those geese on the early season opener? Let's hear them...

thats what my boat looks like bobbym

#2 blackcloud and triple B

belt fed .50 BMG

WWIIquad50.jpg

Where can I get one and how much does it cost? I am always looking for a firearm upgrade. wink

Does anyone have a flak gun for sale????

im shooting the same loads i do every year.. federal premium ultra shock 3" T, winchester drylok 3" BBB and have 5 black clouds to try..

If your decoying and bringing them in tight, you shouldn't need any more that 2 3/4' or 3' 2's or BB's. If you're pass shooting you'll want the heaviest fastest load you can get in a 3 1/2 inch.

I shoot whatever's on sale. I tend to load up at the end of the year. Fiocci's have been on sale in the area I hunt at the end of the year for 8.99 for a 3' 2's and BB. Giddyup.

Black Cloud 3 1/2 " BB for me. These things are the most lethal steel shot I have shot in my 25 plus years of duck/goose hunting. Even if the first shot is at 10 yards, the third shot is often 40 yards and going away. After all the money spent on decoys, blinds, dogs, calls, and gas, the last thing to go cheap on is your shell.

3.5" Federal BB's with the X2. I used to shoot the win. xperts

too until i could not fig ure out why i could not kill any birds. Then i was told to cut a shell open and look at the pellets, i did, and WOW, there is a reason they are cheap!!! Not one of the pellest was round, they had divets all over each pellet. Switched to a different brand and started killin birds!!

faststeel in 3.5" 1.25 oz of 2's or my fav 3's fast a He!! 1625 and I believe speed kills!!!

3" 1 1/4 oz federal hhv #1's and 3 1/2" 1 1/2 oz #1's in my super x2, and federal ultra shok non tox 3" #2's in my citori.

This is great information. Just makes me want to go and shoot something. I am guessing that everyone has done some kinda of patterning at a target or for sure at some geese but what do you think about chokes? Have you found that a certain choke works better with a different size shot? All of this talk is getting me pretty stoked for the season to begin. Can't Wait.

I haven't tried any aftermarket chockes but have really great sucess with the factory Mod chokes in my browning and my 870 but I think its time to step up and try these aftermarket ones to see for myself if the hype is what they say.

Was bushwacked into splittin a case of 3.5" winchester high velocity a couple yrs ago. Boy was I glad when those were gone. immediately went back to Winchester dry-lok 3.5" #2.. Shooting a Bennelli Nova 3.5" with factory improved steel tube.. Awsome out to 40 yds

I know this has been beaten to death and back, but do you guys REALLY notice a difference in the high-end loads? If I'm paying $20 for 10 shells and shooting 2 boxes (if I'm shooting good :)) a day, those bb's should be retrieving the birds too!

I know this has been beaten to death and back, but do you guys REALLY notice a difference in the high-end loads? If I'm paying $20 for 10 shells and shooting 2 boxes (if I'm shooting good :)) a day, those bb's should be retrieving the birds too!

when you are on you are on and when you miss well Id rather miss with the less expensive shells I guess grin I know off a few guiys that shoot real well and they spend the money on tungston shells and I just cant take that chance I'm not saying that I'm a bad shot but I do miss and the wallet could get empty quite fast on those days that you just cant seem to be on and it happens to the best of us.

Yes, after market chokes work. You have to be on the birds because the pattern is tighter, but my patternmaster has made a significant difference. I used to shoot a Mod and there is no comparison.

i run the hi density, hevi shot, etc out of my citori for a few reasons...the loads i have selected pattern great in those chokes, with no 3rd shot for cleaning up on a winger, its nice to know the birds get hit hard with each shot, and i can drop down a few shot sizes, improve pattern density, and also maintain effective killing range. nothing like shooting honkers with #4's while your buddys try with BBB!