• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where will you be?

Assuming my math is correct, as of 2:42pm (a few minutes ago), the clock for early season goose in Wisconsin is at 11 days,15 hours and counting.

My question is, where/how will you be starting your season?

I have some more scouting to do, but I will likely be opening my season on early goose opener, September 1st. I will probably be going solo that day.

Plan to hunt a small lake in central wisconsin that seems to harbor resident geese year round. There is not much water in the area. The geese tend to travel along a tributary that flows out of the lake towards nearby fields. Though the main flocks are morning/evening movers, there seem to be small groups and pairs that go to and from the lake most of the day. Plan to set up just outside the mouth of the tributary with a small spread of floaters. Not expecting to get the large flocks in, but could get some good pass shooting and chances at the smaller groups. I'll be heading there this evening to check things out.

After opener, I will likely be heading to the Beaver Dam and Sheboygan areas to field hunt with friends in those areas.

I have my last night of BPLC the night before (cat fishing leauge). hope fully my partner wants to stick it out and shooot geese in the morning if not I'll be done fishing at 1:00am then camping out on the MN river and setting up somewhere on a sandbar for opening day then drive home and get my boys and head to the feilds in Nowthen.

Hopefully I'll be out somewhere, anywhere, but it's not looking good. It's been a couple of years now since I've shot at any sort of waterfowl. I've GOTTA get out this year!!!! It kills me every year waking up on that Saturday and having to go to work.

It is 11 days yet to wait for me. Minnesota opener is the 5th. I simply can't wait. All of the pre work is done with the exception of some more scouting. Location is key so I won't be giving that info away just yet.

This is going to be a very busy and fun season. We have 3 weekends of early goose season starting on the 5th.

On September 25th 3 of us leave for Western Saskatchewan on a 10 day trip. I return from that trip to work for 4 days. On October 9th I head to Manitoba with a new crew of 4 guys. We will be there for 5 days. Instead of returning to work I will be meeting up with more long time friends for a duck hunt in Northern Minnesota for 6 more days!

Then I will be close to home until deer season. I have to do my 2 weeks of on call for work.

The decoys have all been washed and the blinds cleaned out. The trailer has had the bearing gone threw also. I have ordered and laminated maps of Canada and they are already packed!

Just 11 more days.... Just 11 more days!

Snowgoose, don't do that to me!!! Where do work and are you hiring? laugh

Being that you hunt in Canada already I'm sure you've heard of it, but have you ever been to Oak Hammock by Winnipeg? Probably the most impressive waterfowl spectacle in the world!

BTW, for any of you that are like me that like watching waterfowl almost as much as shooting them, check this out. It's a live streaming video that you can watch that's at the visitor center at Oak Hammock Marsh. You can actually pan the camera over a good chunch of the marsh and zoom in to see what kinda birds are there, what time they start flying, what direction they're going, etc. When the marsh loads up in the fall it's truly a sight to behold!

http://www.oakhammockmarsh.ca/nature/live-video/index.html

Looks like it's a windy day up there today! I saw a couple of mallards and what looked like some 'gansers

Wow, that is some trip. I am taking the entire fall off(Sep 1-Jan 10) and doing nothing but hunt, but I don't have any trips like that planned!(unfortunatley).

The clock here in Wisconsin is down to 6 days and just over 19 hours...

Opening day plans might change, I may end up field hunting the first few days out in Sheboygan county. Bring it on!

We have a few wheat fields that are holding lots of birds morning and night so we will be there for sure.

We will be having 5 guys and 1 gal shooting and 2 Avery Staffers photographing. It will be a very memorable hunt for sure.

Good luck to all and a safe season!

fishuholic

I have heard of Oak Hammock. I actually hunt within 80 miles of it but in 12 years of going to Manitoba I have never found the time to get over there. I am fortunate enough to have relitives in that area so when I'm not hunting, (at night) I'm visiting!

I do have a great boss that let me use vacation time in the fall. I save it up most of the year just for hunting season and snowmobiling in the winter.

I almost forgot. After Minnesota deer season I head down to Iowa for the fisrt shot gun season! I have relitives with 200 acres of wood lot down there also.